Removing underwater-like noise in Soundtrack/FCP

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jammiefreerider, Jul 2, 2008.

1. jammiefreerider macrumors regular

I'm getting towards the end of my editting process for a wedding video of a friend. Unfortunately, there is ton of noise in the audio. Ive used Noise Print removal and deleted random bits in the spectrum viewer but I am still left with an underlying noise that makes it sound like they're underwater. Have you guys got any suggestions as to how to get rid of it. Thanks if you, do its hugely appreciated.

2. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

I believe what you're hearing is artifacting from the noise removal process. I don't know of a good way to remove it. If there is no good way to deal with it, you may be better off going back and using less extreme settings on the noise removal. Experiment with listening to "noise only" and listening for the introduction of the voice into the noise level as you adjust the threshold.

3. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

I second this suggestion. Better to have a little more of the original noise left than to add the "underwater sound".

You can use EQ to try to make the leftover noise less noticeable, or play music at low volume to try to hide the noise. But once the underwater noise is there, I don't know how it can be removed.

- Martin

4. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

And, I second these suggestions. A subtle music bed may help significantly to obscure the noise floor you are dealing with.

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

Everyone says getting the microphones setup right is harder than the video part. It's funny how people will put up with not so perfect video quality and not even notice but their ears will pick up every little defect in the sound. I think you might be better off not depending on filters so much to remove the noise and just simply bringing up the music track to mask it.