Removing Unibody LCD... question?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sukanas, Nov 12, 2009.

1. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

i tried looking at ifixit's teardown but not much help..

but i was wondering, in order to remove the top lid/screen, would I have to remove the logic board too? or could i remove the screen without the logic board?

2. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Ignore ifixit. Their guides include unneeded steps, always link to a part sold at 2x retail, and they really suck. There are a lot of things where it literally costs less to have someone fix it with a new part, the same as the model they sell, than it is to do it yourself with their whack ass guide.

Get a heatgun for $25. Get a quality suction cup, not the crap used for a GPS. heat the glass and use suction cup to remove.

use methyl ethyl ketone to remove old glue from glass and the unibody frame. Do not allow any of this to get in the screen if your intention is to keep the old screen. A sponge is excellent for the MEK, but use latex gloves. Don't let the old glue sit there, or reuse it. That's ghetto, and poor worksmanship. Don't use acetone, it evaporates too fast.

Get some nice 3M adhesive transfer tape. Put it on the glass.

Put new screen in.

You may, depending on how much fail went into manufacturing your macbook, have to remove the display cable from the logic board and cram it up towards the display so you can get the other end to reach the new display you are plugging in. The cable is too short. No service loop. epic apple fail.

3. sukanas thread starter macrumors 6502a

sukanas

Lol thank u for the suggestions,but I'm actually loking to replace the whole lid with an antiglare lid

4. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

Hahah...same people who locate oil filters on car engines. When will designers start considering REPAIR and not just initial assembly?