Removing Unnecessary Files

Gryfon19

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
The way I understand it (just bought a Mac), there are quite a few files taking up space installed by OS X such as extra languages and numerous printer drivers. Is there a way to uninstall these without re-installing the OS all together?

If not, I may consider re-installing the OS. Is that a difficult process, and will I run into licensing issues like with MS Windows? Thanks!

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
The way I understand it (just bought a Mac), there are quite a few files taking up space installed by OS X such as extra languages and numerous printer drivers. Is there a way to uninstall these without re-installing the OS all together?
Not safely.

If not, I may consider re-installing the OS. Is that a difficult process, and will I run into licensing issues like with MS Windows? Thanks!
No, and no. Just boot from your restore disc, use Disk Utility to erase your hard drive, then, in the installer, be sure to un-check language translations... and I usually un-check printer drivers also.

You do want extra fonts though.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
You won't be prompted with any licensing nonsense beyond agreeing that you are installing OS X on Apple Hardware.

I know of Monolingual. I believe there's another program as well. The only worry is that you could remove your Rosetta files in addition to the languages. I haven't done it myself so I hope someone else could help.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
You won't be prompted with any licensing nonsense beyond agreeing that you are installing OS X on Apple Hardware.

I know of Monolingual. I believe there's another program as well. The only worry is that you could remove your Rosetta files in addition to the languages. I haven't done it myself so I hope someone else could help.
Too many people have severely messed up their systems using Monolingual for me to feel comfortable recommending it to anybody.

It really is a super easy process to just re-install the OS and all the apps. Like boot from the disc, check a few options, let it do it's thing for 30 - 40 minutes, and thats it.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Too many people have severely messed up their systems using Monolingual for me to feel comfortable recommending it to anybody.

It really is a super easy process to just re-install the OS and all the apps. Like boot from the disc, check a few options, let it do it's thing for 30 - 40 minutes, and thats it.
I thought so.

Reinstalling OS X is one of the most painless experiences I've had. I'd give that a try before anything else.

Gryfon19

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Great, thanks for the feedback. Sounds like re-installing the OS should be pretty easy. That said, what options should I pay special attention when given choices along the way?

Also, does anyone know how much space I can save by doing this (going from a standard install to removing unnecessary languages, drivers, etc.)?

Thanks!

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Great, thanks for the feedback. Sounds like re-installing the OS should be pretty easy. That said, what options should I pay special attention when given choices along the way?

Also, does anyone know how much space I can save by doing this (going from a standard install to removing unnecessary languages, drivers, etc.)?

Thanks!
just be sure you can find the "customize" button during installation.

language/drivers will probably give you back 3G. there are other big apps you might not need, like garageband, iDVD, iMovie, iWork, etc, those will give you another 5~6G.

Mac OSX 10.4's HDD requirement is 3G, so i suppose you can save at least 8~10G by doing reinstall and remove useless stuff there.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Although remember that part of the point of the Mac is having GarageBand and iDVD and stuff. Maybe you don't think you *need* it now, but how do you really know you won't want it down the line.