Removing Unnecessary Files

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Gryfon19, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Gryfon19 macrumors regular

The way I understand it (just bought a Mac), there are quite a few files taking up space installed by OS X such as extra languages and numerous printer drivers. Is there a way to uninstall these without re-installing the OS all together?

If not, I may consider re-installing the OS. Is that a difficult process, and will I run into licensing issues like with MS Windows? Thanks!

2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Not safely.

No, and no. Just boot from your restore disc, use Disk Utility to erase your hard drive, then, in the installer, be sure to un-check language translations... and I usually un-check printer drivers also.

You do want extra fonts though.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You won't be prompted with any licensing nonsense beyond agreeing that you are installing OS X on Apple Hardware.

I know of Monolingual. I believe there's another program as well. The only worry is that you could remove your Rosetta files in addition to the languages. I haven't done it myself so I hope someone else could help.

4. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Too many people have severely messed up their systems using Monolingual for me to feel comfortable recommending it to anybody.

It really is a super easy process to just re-install the OS and all the apps. Like boot from the disc, check a few options, let it do it's thing for 30 - 40 minutes, and thats it.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I thought so.

Reinstalling OS X is one of the most painless experiences I've had. I'd give that a try before anything else.

6. Gryfon19 thread starter macrumors regular

Great, thanks for the feedback. Sounds like re-installing the OS should be pretty easy. That said, what options should I pay special attention when given choices along the way?

Also, does anyone know how much space I can save by doing this (going from a standard install to removing unnecessary languages, drivers, etc.)?

Thanks!

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

just be sure you can find the "customize" button during installation.

language/drivers will probably give you back 3G. there are other big apps you might not need, like garageband, iDVD, iMovie, iWork, etc, those will give you another 5~6G.

Mac OSX 10.4's HDD requirement is 3G, so i suppose you can save at least 8~10G by doing reinstall and remove useless stuff there.

8. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Although remember that part of the point of the Mac is having GarageBand and iDVD and stuff. Maybe you don't think you *need* it now, but how do you really know you won't want it down the line.