Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tech198

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Hi all

How do i remove unused genres in iTunes ?

The posts here on MR, and apple discussions do work just fine, but they only work IF there is content there in the first place.

While you can always change a genera, and blank the field, thus removing the genre from the list, this only applies to content you already have in your itunes Library...

My question is how do do remove all these custom greres WITHOUT any content ? You had movie files with genres, but you decided to remove these from your library. The genres are still available, just not shown until those content if added back..

However, I would lke to remove these in any case .... Is this possible ?

I have tried digging into iTunes.app >>> Resources>>> ...... but it didn't help..

There is also a script that does the same thing, but there must stll be content present..

Is the only way to remove unused genres is to have content in your library ?

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
Remove them from where? If I remove the genre from last movie (or song, etc), that genre appears to be forgotten by iTunes. The section in the viewer is gone, and it is even gone from the pulldown selection for the genre field in the info editor. Where else does it show up?

A.

Tech198

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
It "appears" to be forgotten, but not deleted by iTunes, It just disappears from list views until you re-add that/those same files again.

aka... If you previous removes xxx belonging to "General A" genre, and you remove the file, it "appears" to be gone from genres, but if you re-add it back to the library, iTunes automatically picks up "General A".

This there stored somewhere. Just always available.

As started, while you can change a genre and that will remove it, there doesn't appear to be a way to start from scratch, apart from removing all genres first, THEN your iTunes library content.

However, my issue is my library is already empty, the genres are still there. just not shown.

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
It "appears" to be forgotten, but not deleted by iTunes, It just disappears from list views until you re-add that/those same files again.

It's stored in the files. If you copy that movie to a brand new Mac that has never seen a single bit of content, that genre will show up.

A.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.