Removing USB Device from Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by tjb1, Oct 10, 2011.

1. tjb1 macrumors 68000

I have a vinyl cutter that I need to mount in VirtualBox, but to do so I need to remove it from OS X. It is not a drive so it does not show up in Finder but I need it ejected so I can mount it in VirtualBox. I have already added a filter and it wont grab it so I have no idea how to mount it, any suggestions? It shows up in "System Information".

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

3. tjb1 thread starter macrumors 68000

It is in English, seems you have no idea what virtualbox is.

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

is this vinyl cutter some kind of hardware? is it compatible with OS X? maybe the device needs a firmware update to work with Lion?

the more details the better

5. tjb1 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes its a vinyl cutter/plotter. It works in OS X, I can cut with it from OS X using SignCut Pro. It also works in Windows 7 through bootcamp. Im using a KEYSPAN adapter to get a serial connection and this has worked fine in both OS.

Problem is, when plugged in OS X captures the device. Because it is a "printer" I can not just go in to Finder and eject it. For me to get control of it in VirtualBox, OS X can not have control of it. I have tried setting a filter in ports(VirtualBox) to capture it but it still doesnt work and when I attempt to connect it, I am told it is in use by the host computer.

6. PeterHolbrook macrumors 6502a

Have you tried VMware Fusion or Parallels Desktop? They might afford better control of USB devices.

7. danny_w macrumors 601

I have only just now started working with VirtualBox, but disk devices at least do NOT have to be ejected from OS-X to be mounted in Windows. Perhaps this is different because you said it shows up as a printer. For a disk all you have to do to capture it in VirtualBox is to go to "Shared Folders" and add it. I do not know how you would do this for a printer though.

8. tjb1 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes I have had Parallels and I will never install that again. For one, it sucks and im not paying for the "subscription" to get updates that should be free. Seriously, its like $50 for the next version for current users and it has like 3 upgrades total.

9. PeterHolbrook macrumors 6502a

Well, try Fusion then. I don't use or have any vinyl cutters, but Fusion does give me excellent control on all USB devices (not just disks or pen drives).

10. tjb1 thread starter macrumors 68000

And VMware works the same way as Parallels...Its either VirtualBox or Bootcamp, having a 120gb ssd I would rather use VirtualBox.

11. danny_w macrumors 601

I have a paid copy of VMWare Fusion 4.0 at work and it is uncontrollable because the mouse pointer keeps jumping all over the place and the focus is not even close. I installed VirtualBox and never looked back.

12. PeterHolbrook macrumors 6502a

Then you should fully enjoy what you have to your heart's content.

13. tjb1 thread starter macrumors 68000

Or you can go to a thread where you know what you're talking about :)

14. PeterHolbrook macrumors 6502a

Don't tell me YOU know what you are talking about, because I'm not gullible enough to believe such BS. In any case, I wouldn't want to deprive you of your enjoyment of using the virtual machine environment of your choice.

15. tjb1 thread starter macrumors 68000

Well I came here to get a solution to using VirtualBox, not switch programs. If I was not looking for a solution I would not have posted. I guess you come to the forum to post irrelevant comments instead of helping.

16. PeterHolbrook macrumors 6502a

Sorry, pal, I didn't see in your utterly irrelevant first post that you weren't ready to consider alternatives. As you aren't, be content with what you have, relevantly speaking.

17. tjb1 thread starter macrumors 68000

I know its possible, thus why I came here to ask.

18. wpotere Guest

This might be a better question for the developers of Virtualbox as most printers in VMs are pass through.

19. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

No, it is not English. I am also perfectly aware of what VirtualBox is. My admonition to you was motivated by the fact that your vinyl cutter is an imaging device. You mount volumes [and drives]. A vinyl cutter cannot be mounted in either native Windows or in Windows virtualized in VirtualBox. It most certainly cannot removed from MacOS X because it was never part of MacOS X. Also your vinyl cutter is peripheral hardware. MacOS X is software. English is a powerful language when used correctly. It can be as confusing as heck when not.

20. wpotere Guest

I have to admit I didn't know what a vinyl cutter was until you said it was a printer. That being said, it is a bit harsh to say that he wasn't speaking English. Just because you didn't understand doesn't mean that you had to take a pot shot at him. You could have simply asked what it was.

21. tjb1 thread starter macrumors 68000

http://goo.gl/aIWbY

22. rcjhawk macrumors newbie