Removing Windows 7 from iMac - deactivate serial first?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by larzy, Feb 18, 2010.

1. larzy macrumors regular

larzy

I've decided to remove Windows 7 from my iMac - the version installed is the 32 bit version, and I want to install the 64 bit instead as I've just upgrade to 8GB of ram (it's the 27 inch model). Do I just remove the partition via Boot Camp, or do I need to deactivate the serial number somewhere first?

2. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

There is no way to deactivate the key. You should be able to just reinstall. Not the word, should. :D

Good luck.

3. cathyy macrumors 6502a

Windows doesn't have any option to deactivate keys. However this would only be a problem if you're using an OEM version of Windows. OEM versions can only be installed on the same computer that it was first installed on. OEM licenses are non-transferable and cannot be used on any other computer.

If you aren't using an OEM license then it won't matter if you uninstall it. If you attempt to install it on a new computer and it won't let you, then simply give them a call (toll free number is provided I believe) and they'll provide you with the key needed to activate it on the new computer. :)

4. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I thought I had read that once an OEM key is used either as 32 or 64 bit, it ties that key to that mode. Now, I just read this, doesn't mean it is actually right because I have not tested it yet.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I don't believe that is correct, as MS does offer replacement media for OEM for the "other" bit version.

Note too that many have successfully transferred OEM licenses to new hardware even though the license doesn't explicitly grant you those rights.

B

6. acolite246 macrumors newbie

Your key automatically deactivates the previous installs of Windows (which won't be an issue b/c you are uninstalling it) when you activate it the next time you install.