Removing Windows hard drives from OS X desktop

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Spanky Deluxe, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I've installed BootCamp on my girlfriend's MacBook, however, I'd rather have it so that it doesn't show up on the desktop. I formatted it with FAT32 so that I can access it when needed although I don't want it on the desktop to confuse my girlfriend and risk her accidentally messing up the Windows install.

Also, on another note, is there anyway to stop OS X from displaying the names of FAT32 formatted drives in capital letters on the desktop?

2. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    mine is not Fat32, and I just eject it from the desktop.

not sure if that would work for you or not

3. alfogator macrumors member

Add this line

LABEL=WINXP none msdos rw,noauto

to the file /etc/fstab where WINXP is the actual label of your winxp partition.

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

When in Windows renamed the drive with a "." minus quotes in front of the name. Then OS X will treat it as invisible and it will not appear on the desktop.

5. DinnyHoon macrumors member

You could always go into Finder's preferences (Cmd+,) and uncheck Hard Disks. However, this will also hide your Macintosh HD from the desktop.

6. Wanderer509 macrumors member

um sorry, i dont quite follow... doe that i mean i rename C: drive with a period infront of it? currently my drive is named untitled and i NTFS formatted it. sorry for hijacking thread =)

also, is it possible to copy stuff directly to my NTFS formatted windows HD? i read about it somewhere before but i totally forgot.... haha thanks!

7. Pendora macrumors newbie

Yes you should call it .untitled
    For NTFS support you have to install macfuse

8. Wanderer509 macrumors member

ok... so to make it clear, if i want the untitled windows partition to disappear from macosx, i rename it .untitled. in addition, if i want macosx to support copying to NTFS, i would install macfuse. is that correct?

9. mediaguru macrumors regular

Yes, that is correct.

However, you do not have to necessarily use the word "untitled." Like xUKHCx said, you can label the Windows partition anything you like but just be sure to put the "dot" immediately in front of it.

FWIW, any file or volume in OS X will be hidden by default if there is a period/dot in front of it.