Removing Windows

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Tuathal, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Tuathal macrumors newbie

A friend of mine installed an old version of XP on my macbook air...I bought the latest edition of windows 7 & i wana know if theres a way of removing XP 1st..

I have parallels installed & i just want to get rid of the messed up XP & have Windows 7 instead...The Xp he installed isnt even a legit copy which is more reason to remove it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS.I only need windows to run my metastock software..

2. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Boot from the Windows 7 installation DVD and let the Windows installer format the Boot Camp partition. Then let it install Win7 on the freshly formatted partition. DO NOT MANUALLY CREATE, DELETE OR OTHERWISE CHANGE ANY EXISTING PARTITIONS -- at least not if you want to keep OS X on that machine.

That should be all.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Basically follow the Boot Camp Install guide starting at the point where you reformat the FAT32 partition to NTFS, except it already probably is NTFS. http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Boot_Camp_Install-Setup_10.6.pdf

Hold Alt/Option as usual to boot from the Win7 install DVD.

B

4. Tuathal thread starter macrumors newbie

I went through the bootcamp manual wich is the way i will install it but XP was installed directly through Parallels..

Even when i restore my drives in bootcamp XP still remains because Bootcamp was not used to install it the 1st time..

Do i need to remove XP or will installing Windows 7 over right it when installed through bootcamp..The last thing i wana do is install windows 7 & realise that the xp i have in parallels is still there..Even by deleting parallels & reinstalling it-it doesnt remove XP.

Cheers for the help.