Removing Winterboard via Cydia doesn't lighten the load on battery drain!!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by GunBlazerX, Aug 11, 2010.

1. GunBlazerX macrumors member

I've been using mywi 4.0 to monitor battery usage lately. With my regular settings of 50% brightness, wifi off, bluetooth off, not tethering, the battery drain gauge on mywi will steady out at aroung -120A to -125A.

I have since installed winterboard and the battery drain just cannot go below roughly -300A thats nearly 3x as much drain during regular usage than normal. I have tried removing winterboard through cydia and although I can see my RAM go back to original the battery drain has not gone back down to -120A it is still around -300A even after uninstallation. I pretty much feel the battery spill out of my phone compared to my pre-winterboard days.

IS restoring my phone as new the only option for me? Winterboard being a battery hog is fine, but the fact it cannot cleanly uninstall is not.

People who use mywi4.0 or another battery monitor please also post your statistics here. (wait for the drain number to steady out first)

2. theNEOone macrumors 6502

I have winterboard installed and I'm around 110A drain although sometimes I see it spike as high as 260A.

Might be something else that's causing your battery leakage.

iP4, btw.

=|

3. thep33t macrumors regular

removing the dependency for winderboard installed w/ winterboard (in my case, pincrush) solved the issue for me.

4. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

I've been reading conflicting posts regarding Winterboard and its possible relation to battery drain. I, for one, have had no issues. Battery life is nearly identical post Jailbreak as it was pre.

Is it possible there is another culprit? I just don't see how identical hardware and software could cause completely different results from phone to phone.

Regardless, hope you get it fixed. And if you do, please post your fix!

5. Black Vegeta macrumors member

This.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Removed WB and my drain is -118A (can go down to -44A). iPhone 4, on 4.0.1 and same settings as the OP. Obviously WB is not the issue. You might try downgrading mobilesubstrate if you have the current version.

7. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

I do not have winterboard installed and my jumps between -100a-300a on a 3gs, I still make it all day without need of a charge. No unlock 3g on (no 3g service) wifi on, location services on, Bluetooth off and brightness about 60%.

8. GunBlazerX thread starter macrumors member

What could it be then? Here's my list of installed cydia apps:

sbsettings
    activator
    mywi 4
    iblank

Lol...

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Sbsettings could be it. Did you read my post about MS?

10. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

sbsettings, activator and iblank all use mobilesubstrate... the same component that's critical to WinterBoard's function. If you're really having an issue, that would be my guess.

11. Jnardis macrumors 6502a

I don't think it's SBsettings. I deleted it for the past 3 days and have had the exact same battery issues. Only other thing it could be on my phone is 3GU, BiteSMS or Shrink.

12. user07 macrumors newbie

What app are you guys using to monitor current draw?

13. freedevil macrumors 6502a

freedevil

When I removed Winterboard after using glasklart all my apple icons were grey. So now I have winterboard just turned off and I have my icons. Will wait for 4.1 and its JB to restore. Not a fan of winterboard for sure.

14. Kimball macrumors regular

+1, Id like to know this as well :)

15. GunBlazerX thread starter macrumors member

Yes, and I definitely plan to look into this. What version though? My MS hasn't been updated in a long time so did winterboard suddenly mess it up?

mywi, I said it multiple times at the beginning.

16. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I went back to 3209, the one a few weeks before these latest updates (3226 and 3228). The debs are in Saurik’s website under /debs.

17. GunBlazerX thread starter macrumors member

Anyway to do this without ssh? As I don't have access to that at the moment.

18. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You can use iFile to install the .deb and Downloads Lite to download the .deb file.

19. GunBlazerX thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, would the correct order of things be first removing my MS in cydia then running the downloaded .deb or just running the deb straight away and it will install over my current one?

20. GunBlazerX thread starter macrumors member

Battery drain still didn't resolve =( I was going to restore but 4.0.2 had to come out... Guess I'll look into downgrading.

21. microcolt macrumors regular

Is this an iP4 or 3GS?

22. GunBlazerX thread starter macrumors member