Removing XP and partition

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Toedoc, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Toedoc macrumors newbie

I have an iMac which is partitioned for Windows XP. I am using VMWare Fusion. I no longer want the Windows side, so I want this iMac COMPLETELY MacOSX - just like when I bought it. But, I'd prefer not to have to reformat. What are my options?

2. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Is it for sure partitioned? I only ask because that is software for a virtual machine which means you may not have actually partitioned it. If you did partition it you could try boot camp assistant to unpartition it.

3. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

If you partitioned/installed Windows using Boot Camp, all you have to do is open the Boot Camp Assistant and delete the Windows partition - OS X will get all of that disk space back and you dont have to reformat.

And if you've only installed it in VMWare Fusion (which means it's a Virtual Machine and not on a separate disk partition), then all you have to do is open your documents folder and put the Virtual Machine file in your trash.

4. Toedoc thread starter macrumors newbie

Will I have to delete XP and all the Windows programs? (i.e. Quicken, Word, etc.)

5. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Wait didn't you want to get rid of Windows and to answer your question yes you would. Also do you know if it really is partitioned?

6. Toedoc thread starter macrumors newbie