Rename a user and extension

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by humaira, Aug 16, 2015.

1. humaira macrumors newbie

humaira

I'm having trouble figuring out how to rename a user name on my mac. I inherited it when I transferred data from an older mac. I no longer have that job title and I just want to change it to my name. The name & extension text box is greyed out and i am unable to change it. But the "user" doesn't show up in the users and groups tab of system preferences. I'm hoping this is a basic problem that someone has an easy solution for!

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

How did you transfer the data? If it's not showing as a user in System Preferences, you can just create a new user account from there and transfer the data from the desktop/documents folder. If the folder's locked, right-click it, and select 'Get Info'. Then unlock and add read/write privileges to it.

Could you supply some screenshots please? I'm a little confused at exactly what the issue is so I'd rather be sure I'm recommending a correct course of action.

3. humaira thread starter macrumors newbie

humaira

Thanks for your reply! I'd love to fix this. So here's a screenshot of the "user" I'd like to rename: Screen Shot 2015-08-17 at 12.58.55 AM.png

See how the Name & Extension text box is grayed out? I want to change the associate-director label to my own name.

4. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

You can't change your user name that way. The safest way is to create a new user with the name you want, then move your stuff from one account to the other, then delete the old user.

There is a way to change a short username in the Users System Prefs, but it is very easy for things to go very wrong.

5. humaira thread starter macrumors newbie

humaira

ok so here's how much of a rookie I am: I can't figure out how to move stuff. The file structure on a mac is much less user friendly than on a pc. any tips?

6. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Here is how to do it: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201548