rename files

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AlphaBoy85, May 18, 2008.

1. AlphaBoy85 macrumors regular

i have 2 os on my notebook, mac and windows and there's two icons on my mac desktop one for "macintosh hd" the other is "untitled" that is windows.. I know how to rename files but i cant rename that untitled.
    anyhelp?

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

You need to do it when you are booted into Windows.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Yes, you will need to boot into Windows and rename the C: drive from there.

You can make it invisible by putting a "." in front of the name so it won't show up.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. AlphaBoy85 thread starter macrumors regular

OK Guys I had it for 3 days now.. what is booting? I did checked m C: and there's no "Untitled" could you teach me what to do please?
    Thanks!

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Start the computer in Windows. Open up My Computer, and right click on the C: drive, and select properties, and you should see a field to give the drive a label. Put a label in there -- this label should appear as the volume name when it's started in MacOS. If the label begins with a "." such as .windows, it will be invisible on the desktop, if that's what you want.

6. AlphaBoy85 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks bro it's working..! thanks so much..
    OK, I have another one for you.. I have a home icon much like a house under the name of "macbook" I want to rename it also but i can't :( ideas?

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You're not meant to rename that - that is your short user name, and is used for all sorts of internal UNIX things in Mac OS X. That said, it CAN be done, it's just a pain to do so. I don't know the exact method, though.

8. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

There's an article on changing your home username here but it's pretty tricky. :/ You'd be better off just making a new account and transferring your data.

9. AlphaBoy85 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh WOW! that freaked me out LOL! I'll just leave it then =)
    kk, another question.. how can I delete apps? should I just search and delete or what? (Sorry for being a newb) ;/

10. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Deleting the application in your Applications folder is all you need to do in most cases. If the application came with an uninstaller, you should use that. That said, applications do leave support files behind in various places - these are generally harmless to leave behind, and can be good to have if you decide you want the application back.

11. AlphaBoy85 thread starter macrumors regular

Cool, Thanks a lot man really appreciate it.. What applications do you recommend? I need something Like Audio Converter, Video Converter (For my iPhone) and stuff like that..
    Thanks!

12. AlphaBoy85 thread starter macrumors regular