Rename "frequently visited" sites?

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by Nermal, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

In Safari, when you tap the address bar you get a grid of icons representing "frequently visited" sites. Is there a way to rename these? The default name is provided by the site designer, which is sometimes not very helpful. Tap-and-hold only provides a Delete option; is Rename hidden somewhere?

2. beernut macrumors 6502

Only thing I can think of is tap-hold-drag the icon to the favorites area and then renaming it there (essentially creating a bookmark from the icon that's already provided)

3. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You learn something every day! :)

Thanks; that'll do the trick.

4. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

And now the follow-up question: Can I stop them from showing up in Frequently Visited? If I delete them then they just come back next time I visit. Not a huge issue, but it's a bit of visual clutter.

5. beernut macrumors 6502

You can turn off frequently visited sites altogether in settings-->safari

If you don't want to go that route, you can just clear cache/history and it'll clean it up (but obviously will repopulate after the next few frequent visits :) )

6. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I do use the other icons so I'll keep the option on. I'll just wait and see whether anyone else has any ideas :)

It does seem a bit odd that it'd show as a frequent site if you have it in favourites though!

7. ajiuo macrumors 65816

Clearing your browsing history will remove them temporarily until it builds up again