Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aleksoctop

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 8, 2011
A real longshot here, but...

has anyone figured out how to rename Trash in Mavericks?

I miss having my trash called "Rubbish".

allthingsapple

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2013
A real longshot here, but...

has anyone figured out how to rename Trash in Mavericks?

I miss having my trash called "Rubbish".

Install Textwrangler then Navigate to the path below.

/System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/en.lproj/InfoPlist.strings

Change the following line under <key>TrashName</key> it's on line 64. Should look like attached pic.
Screen%20Shot%202014-01-15%20at%2012.50.00.png

Change the word Trash on this line <string>Trash</string> to whatever name you want the trash folder to be called. a prompt will appear asking you to unlock as you start typing. click unlock then enter in the name you want the trash to be called. Click file and save (enter your system password when prompted). Quit Textwrangler. Open terminal and type Killall Dock. Move your mouse/ trackpad pointer over the trash dock icon to see the new name. If changes haven't taken effect Restart the mac.

EDIT: To change the Empty Trash and Secure empty trash name from the Finder menubar like this.

Screen%20Shot%202014-01-15%20at%2014.10.36.png

Navigate to /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/Localizable.strings

Open with Textwrangler and go down to lines 1810 and 1812. Should resemble something like this when changed.

Screen%20Shot%202014-01-15%20at%2014.09.12.png

change the word trash in these lines to the same name you have given to your trash folder. in this case i've used rubbish as an example for the op. Click file, save. Open terminal and type Killall Finder.

To Change the move to trash name from the finder window drop down menu like this see pic

Screen%20Shot%202014-01-15%20at%2014.25.45.png

Navigate to /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/Localizable.strings

Open with Textwrangler and go down to line 1794. It should look like this.

Screen%20Shot%202014-01-15%20at%2014.24.11.png

Change the word trash in this line to the same name you have given your trash folder. For example, I've named mine to rubbish like this.

Screen%20Shot%202014-01-15%20at%2014.24.40.png

When finished. Click file and save. Quit Textwrangler, Open Terminal and type Killall Finder. Quit Terminal and open up your finder window. Click on any file then click the drop down box to see the change.

To change the trash folder title like this

Screen%20Shot%202014-01-15%20at%2016.17.32.png

navigate to /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/Localizable.strings

Open it up with Textwrangler and go to line 2177 it should look like this.

Screen%20Shot%202014-01-15%20at%2016.19.39.png

Replace the word Trash with the same name you chose for your trash folder. In this case I've put in rubbish. see pic.

Screen%20Shot%202014-01-15%20at%2016.18.59.png

Again click File, save. Go into Terminal and type Killall Finder. Open up the trash folder from the dock to see the changes.

All of the mods listed above work with Mavericks 10.9, 10.9.1 and 10.9.2

Last edited:

aleksoctop

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 8, 2011
Thank you so much for the writeup!
In Mountain Lion you were able to open the strings files in TextEdit and just change values. I had no idea Textwrangler was the answer.

Thanks again! Rubbish is back!

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Dude, your desktop would probably give Jony Ive nightmares. :)

Install Textwrangler then Navigate to the path below.

/System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/en.lproj/InfoPlist.strings

Change the following line under <key>TrashName</key> it's on line 64. Should look like attached pic. Image

allthingsapple

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2013
Thank you so much for the writeup!
In Mountain Lion you were able to open the strings files in TextEdit and just change values. I had no idea Textwrangler was the answer.

Thanks again! Rubbish is back!

No problem, you're welcome. I thought i'd do the full writeup as a guide in case others wish to do something similar.

Dude, your desktop would probably give Jony Ive nightmares. :)

Thanks
biggrin.gif

allthingsapple

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2013
Those Finder windows are the ugliest thing I've ever seen.

I suppose at the end of the day it comes down to personal taste. There are certain things one person may like but another may not. I actually quite like it. I appreciate your honesty though.

Last edited:

Donut4000

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2009
I'd like to chip in with my findings for when I tried the above. I use BBedit, and followed all the instructions posted here - but still had an 'Empty Trash' right click menu when going to the trash can in the Dock. To change this, change the 'Trash' references in 'DockMenus.strings' as well as 'InfoPlist.strings' within the Dock package. I also spent a bit of extra time changing all the instances of Trash in both the Finder and Dock packages using the find/replace tool in BBEdit: it took a good 5 minutes, but now I have consistant naming across all dialogues, menus etc.
As an interesting aside, I subsequently downloaded and upgraded to 10.9.2 beta 2, and all my trash alterations remained - I was expecting to repeat all my edits after the upgrade.
As a final and uninteresting aside, I renamed my Trash to Cowp, a Scots word for a midden or rubbish heap. Being Scottish, shoving stuff in the cowp, or cowping something is much more fitting. The joys of customisation :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.