Rename User

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Littleboo, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Littleboo macrumors regular

I recently purchases a used mac. It has the old user name all over it and I can't figure out how to change it. I changed the admin to myself but the users didn't change, nor did the settings such as the name when the password box pops up. I can see a different name as a folder name (not person's full name as I keep seeing) under user and I tried to change that but it's locked.

Thank you in advance.

2. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

just create a new admin user with the name you want, sign into that account and then delete the old one.
    or get a copy of OS X and reinstall

3. Littleboo thread starter macrumors regular

I created a new user, and deleted the old one. nothing. I don't want to reinstall because then I have to reinstall all the programs the user before me has. I don't have the discs and I'd like the programs that came with computer.

4. OhKay macrumors newbie

If you have admin rights I would assume you could go to:

Apple Icon -> System Preferences... -> System -> Users & Groups

And then select the User and change the Full Name field (may have to unlock the little padlock in the lower left corner to allow the change). I just tested this and it worked fine for me.

5. Littleboo thread starter macrumors regular

If I am in the right place it is System > accounts. I changed the admin to myself, but when you go to finder and you see the little house, it's still old user name. It's kinda a crappy name so I'd rather not look at it everyday :(