Rename "Windows" in Boot Camp's bootloader

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by mickair, Dec 19, 2007.

1. mickair macrumors newbie

Hi there,

Just wondering, is there any way that I can rename the word "windows" to something else under BootCamp's bootloader?

I have 10.5.1 and Windows Vista (BootCamp) set up. I have luck in renaming the drive itself that shows on the desktop, but no luck in doing this in the bootloader (the screen that pops up upon startup when you hold down the option key).

Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

2. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

3. Broken Friday macrumors member

Try loading up Vista, and renaming the HD from within Vista. Now it says "Vista" for me. Let me go double check.

4. CapitalQ macrumors member

This renames the drive in the Startup Disk selection menu on OS X, but I don't believe you can rename "Windows" on the Option-key bootloader screen.

5. Cloudane macrumors 65816

Cloudane

6. TESEV macrumors member

TESEV

"Hello I'm a Mac"
    "and I'm a PC"

7. CapitalQ macrumors member

Your quip is subjective.

8. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

a little question on the side which kind of is a little related to the original question...
    is it possible to change the icon of the windows drive in the bootloader? and if yes, how is it done? if anyone knows or has an idea i'd be very grateful for hints.

thanks in advance

9. Cloudane macrumors 65816

Cloudane

This is a Mac forum :D

10. rhyndu macrumors regular

I don't think its possible without doing some sort of firmware editing. Even my Fedora install - done via Bootcamp - says "Windows." If it bothers you you can install a different bootloader like rEFT (I think thats what it is call!)

11. stewacide macrumors regular

Big bump!

It's long bothered me that my Linux partition is mis-labled 'Windows' in my Macbook's bootloader: has anyone figured out how to change this?