Renamed a folder, now 90% of it's content are GONE! Please help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by draperdrums, Aug 27, 2012.

1. draperdrums macrumors newbie

I'm not sure where the right forum would be for this.
    As the title says, just earlier today I changed a file from 'August Projects' to 'September Projects'.
    A few hours later I went into the folder to arrange files and I noticed that instead of 40 or so file folders, there were only 6!!
    What the hell? What could have happened here?

(I'm a musician/producer)
    This is the most current/important things I have been working on, and it is imperative to recover these some how. I do not believe they are completely gone, just 'hidden'.

Please and thank you so much for any help- these files are a big part of the life I'm trying to create. I was JUST about to back everything up together on an external hard drive..

I'm running OSX 10.6.8

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Right click the folder you renamed...Click "show info" tick box that says show details. Fingers crossed. Renaming a folder should not delete anything,

3. fwhh macrumors regular

If you know the exact filename, use terminal.app and the find command, to find stuff you accidently put anywhere on you hard drive. Type
    Code:
    find / -name "exact-file-name-here.extension" -print
    (You can use * as a wildcard in the name....)

As you say that you are a music producer, the files will be quite large, i guess, so try Disk Inventory X to find it.