renamed home directory!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iiinvision, Feb 24, 2010.

1. iiinvision macrumors newbie

oh noes! I accidentally renamed the home directory on my macbook! its a mid 2007 model running 10.4.11 Tiger and I don't normally restart or log off my computer.

I accidentally changed it the other day with a track pad misclick while I was multitabling on pokerstars and went back and changed it back later once I realized what I had done.

I didn't think it was that severe of an issue until I started experiencing problems with apps.

I have found the folder with all the old stuff in the users file but I don't know how to apply all the old settings to my account. ALL my applications have restarted and my itunes is completely wiped. All the music files are on the computer but every time I log off all apps are again reset.

How do I get everything back to normal??

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You'll need to delete all your .plist files in the Preferences folder and restart. Copy them to a folder on your desktop to be safe before deleting them.

3. iiinvision thread starter macrumors newbie

can someone explain how this will work? the old directory is now a folder with a different name than the new directory, which is the name of the old directory.

I have read that creating a new account with the short name being the exact same as the old directory folder will allow it to be used on the new account as the main directory. Will this work?

I am by no means, a proficient mac user and any and all help would be nice!

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

On a Mac, if you move a file or folder while it is in use, so long as it isn't between drives, the programs will quietly follow it to its new location with no fuss. However, when a program goes to write to a file that has not yet accessed, it does so by path. Mac OS X was still telling programs that your home folder was at oldname, so they went to /Users/oldname/Library/Preferences to find their settings. Finding nothing there, they did what all good Mac apps do: created a new file with the default preferences. That new folder appeared because programs were aiming at where they thought your home folder should be and missing. I imagine you didn't reconfigure anything vitally important during that period, so there's probably nothing important in there.

It's like my cat's litterbox. If I move it more than two inches, he won't be able to find it and will just crap on the carpet. If that happens, I can clean up the mess and put the litterbox back where it should be and he'll go on with his business like nothing happened.

Just sweep up your app crap and put the litterbox back where it belongs.