Renamed my User Account and Can't Login

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by mynameisjake, Dec 24, 2014.

1. mynameisjake macrumors newbie

I just changed the name of my user account and the default name - both to blank as I just didn't want a name on either. Clicked save or ok and x'ed system pref out; afterwards I was unable to open system prefs anymore. I then restarted the computer and my entire user account was deleted.

It was the admin and when trying to login through a guest profile which was already created, system pref will not allow me to change anything as the user and password authentication is incorrect - my previous credentials are incorrect.

No idea what to do.

Macbook late 2011
    yosemite 10.10.1

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Okay first... yikes :eek:

I'm not sure how to get the account back, but I know a way to make a new account and we can move data over from the old account.

This will take a few steps. Go through this process to force system setup again at startup. During that setup make a new user account with whatever name you want. Make sure it is different than the old name was before you changed it.

Now tell me exactly what data is in the old account and where it was stored... like in Documents folder or whatever.

Also once you are in the new account run the command below in Terminal and tell me what it says.

Code:
    ls /Users

3. NoBoMac macrumors 6502a

I'd suggest doing a "ls -la /Users" instead. Depending on what's going on name-wise, get the more detailed list that will at least show that there are n entries and their types.