renaming a external hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mrgreeneyes, Mar 23, 2012.

1. mrgreeneyes macrumors 6502

hi, i have a few external hard drives that i use to back up various files.

2 of my hard drives are NTFS formatted and when i try to rename them in windows, i am able to. but when i plug the drives into my macbook, they show the old names and not the newly changed name. I'm not sure why this is happening.

what do i do?

thanks

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You cannot rename an NTFS-formatted drive in Mac OS X without also enabling NTFS write support through various methods. However, if you do this, you can also run into issues like the one you're experiencing. My recommended troubleshooting step is to disable NTFS write support, if it's enabled; then restart the Mac. Does the name you set in Windows now show up? (It should.)

3. mrgreeneyes thread starter macrumors 6502

i can rename the drive in windows. but then when i connect it to my macbook, it reverts to th old name.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Did you read the entirety of my post?

I said that this can happen if you have NTFS write support turned ON, through MacFUSE, Paragon, the "native" hack, or whatever other method you used. Turn that off, reboot, and try again. Of course, the method to disable will depend on the method used to enable in the first place.