Renaming a file, most in my movies folder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Gamble, May 27, 2008.

1. Gamble macrumors member

In my movies folder i have 40 or so movies and beside the name of each one there is a little icon displaying a picture of the start of the movie.

When i copy a new move in to the folder and attempt to rename it i am unable to do so until all the little icons are loaded. I can get onto the bit where i rename it but as soon as another icon loads i have to press enter again. So is this a bug or what? Is there anyway i can remove these little pictures?

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

you can remove the "litte pictures" or icon previews at theyre called in Show View Options which you can open from Finder's View menu or by pressing cmd+J.

icon previews for files other than images are new in Leopard (Tiger had image icon previews) and i think its a good feature and adds a bit of 'eye candy' to dull icons.

after the icon preview is loaded the file is probably refreshed and if you are in the process of editing the filename you will have to press enter again after it has loaded.

3. Gamble thread starter macrumors member

I agree they do make a nice addition just a pain when having to rename a file but having to wait 30 seconds to do it. Baring in mind i use Front Row for all my films so the icons are not a neccesity for me :)

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

must be a big movie!

the only time i find icon previews annoying is when watching movies on a burnt DVD. takes ages to load them and causes the movie you are watching to start skipping. i usually just turn them off straight away but i wish there was an option to turn off icon previews for CDs and DVDs :mad:

5. Gamble thread starter macrumors member

Well the folder is full of 700mb+ movies all full length .avi's and i only have 1gb of ram if thats anything to do with it? :)