Renaming file names for photos

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iRaynor SK, Jul 24, 2015.

1. iRaynor SK macrumors regular

iRaynor SK

Hello,

I have a photo, for example "grandma.jpg", but in Photoapp Library (both Mac and iPad) it is like "IMG_0073.JPG". I know that name in metadata is not the same thing as name of file. I want to set filename (grandma.jpg) to replace that IMG_0073.JPG

I have many photos

Thanks

2. KALLT macrumors 601

So you are using the Photos app, correct? Why do you care about the file name? All your pictures in Photos are contained in a library, there is no need for the file name. If you ever want to export or share your pictures, you can use the File > Export option and set a new file name for the exported file. I don’t think that you can change the file name within Photos itself and doing it manually would probably break the file reference within your library.

3. iRaynor SK thread starter macrumors regular

iRaynor SK

KALLT: this is a problem:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v8svzszdp51xxvz/file 25-07-15 06 46 01.png?dl=0

I know I can't rename files in Photos app Library, but I have ALL my photos ("photos", no "Photos") backed up on external harddisk, for case of corruption of Photos Library. I can even recreate my Photos Library if it is needed, I just want to set "file name" to metadata to get rid of "IMG_0098.JPG".