Renaming files - help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by elgrecomac, Mar 27, 2011.

1. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

Before I begin, I've owned a a Mac for 3 years, just bought a maxi-pad2 and own an iphone4 and I am not looking for a pissing contest about OSX vs Window 7 but I am in need of help with OSX. Here goes:

Why is renaming a file such a pain in the ass in OSX? For all of the great things it does, it really doesn't handle this well. In Windows 7 I can go to the file directory, right-click the file name and rename it. In OSX I end up having to get the INFO on the file and renaming it there...way to many steps. Right-mouse-click is supported in OSX, what about a RENAME option if you have file highlighted? ....and yes, I've tried the click-pause-click technique I read about. It does not work or maybe I just don't get it.

BTW, I did a google search about this prior to writing this thread and as far back as 2005 people have been complaining about this...maybe even earlier.

I am running OSX 10.6.7 on a MPB.

IF there is an easier way, I'd like to know about it.

2. simsaladimbamba

Or you select the file and press ENTER.

In Mac OS X, how do I rename a file, folder, or volume?
    it was the second search result: "mac os x rename file"

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Click on the file you want to rename. Press Enter. Type the new name.

4. lighthouse_man macrumors 6502a

5. elgrecomac thread starter macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

6. globalxs macrumors newbie

Changing the 'double-click' option in Lion fixes the change folder name 'bug'.

One of my iMac's wasn't able to change folder- or file names. This irritating behavior wasn't easy to be fixed because the reason wasn't clear. It has something to do with double-clicking speed but this option wasn't reachable under the mouse preferences. After putting some time in it I found the way to fix this problem. It's just located in the Universal option.
    Please see:
    http://tomtsui.wordpress.com/2011/07/28/how-to-double-click-and-drag-in-lion/

After changing the double-click speed from 100% to 30% speed it works fine changing folder- and file names by clicking a file/folder once and clicking it again after 1 second.
    Perfect!!!

Cheers!:D

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Renaming files has nothing to do with double-clicking or even single clicking. To rename a file, simply select it and press Enter/Return on your keyboard. Type the new name and press Enter/Return again. Done.

8. globalxs macrumors newbie

I addressed this item because in the last 3 years only one person found that the double-click functionality does have something to do with renaming files and folders. You will only notice it when for some reason the double-click speed is set to as fast as possible. Even selecting the file or folder and pressing the Enter button on the keyboard will not give you the option for editing the file or folder name.
    One of my iMac's had this problem and i tried just about anything to fix it, even changing hardware and re-installing drivers. Pff, a frustrating job.

I hope it helps someone having the same problem before putting too much useless effort in it.;)

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Double-clicking has nothing to do with renaming files. You don't double-click on a file to rename it, so the double-click speed is completely irrelevant.
    That is exactly how you rename files. If it's not working, you have something wrong with your keyboard or you're not on a Mac. Double-click speed is completely unrelated.

10. mrgraff macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

That isn't double-clicking, that's called clicking twice. Double-clicking is pressing the mouse button twice in quick succession; not clicking and then waiting a second before clicking again. If there's any noticeable delay, then it's no longer a double-click, it's two separate clicks (a subtle but important semantic difference)

Turning the speed down to 30% will make the double-click act like two slow clicks, and that's what's causing the confusion. You should turn it back up to 100% and use double-clicks for opening files/apps. Use the 'click-once and press Enter' technique for renaming. (And as GGJstudios said, check your keyboard.)