Renaming files in iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BlueRevolution, Apr 18, 2009.

1. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I've been removing a bunch of bloat from the iTunes library, and one of the things I did was transcode my 10 GB or so of lossless audio to 256 kbps VBR, then delete the lossless files. The problem is that since the transcode creates new copies of the audio files, I ended up with

10 The Mariner's Revenge Song.m4a
    10 The Mariner's Revenge Song 1.m4a

Once the transcode was complete, I deleted all of the original lossless files from library and my computer, but I can't get rid of the 1 on the end of the remaining filenames. I seem to remember File -> Library -> Consolidate Library to have worked on an earlier version of iTunes, but it doesn't seem to do anything now. My library is set to keep things organized, but that doesn't seem to be working for files already in the library. Any ideas?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I'd use Name Mangler to delete the last two characters (not including the file extension) on the file names, then use the file names to song names script from dougscript to fix them in itunes.

3. BlueRevolution thread starter macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yes, you'd have to re-import and then run the script. I don't know of anything that will run in iTunes alone. I guess you could look and see if there is a script that will remove the last 2 characters from the title meta tag.

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt