Renaming files in OS X 10.7 Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by benjancewicz, Aug 24, 2011.

1. benjancewicz macrumors newbie

benjancewicz

Ok, I cannot for the life of me find any other posts on this, so if someone knows one, please feel free to post.

It's bloody difficult to rename files in Lion. You have to click on a certain part of the file name, wait a few seconds, and maybe it will let you rename it.
    Double clicking like I used to be able to do no longer works.

Similarly, it's the same pain to rename files within iTunes, and when I'm editing a music Genre, it no longer autocompletes.

This is driving me batty because I have rename files all day long at work. Anyone help?

2. basher macrumors 6502

basher

I rename files in finder by highlighting the file and pressing ENTER. Then I just type in the new name.

As for iTunes renaming files, I haven't done any since Lion.

3. Tiki35 macrumors 6502

That is also how I do it.

As for iTunes, I just click the file once to select it, wait a split second and click it again, and then type the new name.

4. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

I didn't think this was so difficult.

Highlight all of the songs you want to add to a genre. Hit Command+I. Edit the Genre field and make sure the box next to it is checked. Click OK...

As well, to edit any information for any song, Command+I will let you do it. Then you can click Next and Previous to change to a different file.

Changing a file name in the Finder is as easy as selecting the file and pressing return.

5. greatcomet, Oct 29, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2011

greatcomet macrumors newbie

It is definitely changed

I sure appreciate your post. I thought I was going crazy as well. My work computer and home computer were on different versions of OSX and it was definitely a noticeable change. My usual grove of clicking it is now obsolete. If I click it to rename as I used to, it now opens the file. I don't have to tell you how frustrating that is. I find the "option" click doesn't work 100%. For me, command "I" brings up the "Get Info Box", this adds another step. You can still click and rename, but it is delayed much longer than before.

As a web designer, I am constantly renaming files. I can imagine it is a rare thing for most users...

The advice of pressing "enter" (return) indeed does work!!! YOU ARE MY HERO!!!! Now I need to program an enter key on my mouse. LOL

6. p-717 macrumors newbie

Renaming Files in Lion

I was indeed struggling with this as I have always highlighted the file and hit the return key! So I was getting frustrated - some files I could rename & others not! Found the source of the problem.
    If I was searching say for all files called "untitled" I could rename SOME saved files that were documents or images but NOT from SOME program folders & files (i.e. Keynote, Pages, Art Text, etc.) What is up with that??? I realized they could not be renamed in the search results finder window but once I went to the original finder file outside of the search results window I could rename them. So I now keep the Path Bar and Status Bar on so I can locate the source folder!
    I know this is a few months later then the original question - I hope it helps! P!