Renaming "Macintosh HD"

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by WillJS, May 29, 2007.

1. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

Is it OK to rename this? I don't a "I accidently renamed my home folder" situation.

If so, where do you do it? Right on the desktop or somewhere else?

Also, how do you make this :apple: on a Mac? :)

2. Luigi239 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, it's totally safe to rename Macintosh HD. Just ctrl click on it on the desktop and choose rename.

I chose to name mine Macbook, for obvious reasons.

3. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Yep, you can rename it right on the desktop without any problem at all.

As for the :apple: keystroke, try alt-shift-k.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Alternately, you can click once on the HD icon on the desktop so that the HD is highlighted, and hit the Return key and you will then be able to edit the name of the HD.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Apple really need to stop you renaming the home folder, I wouldn't let that kind of bug stay in my program, let alone an entire OS.

6. WillJS thread starter macrumors 65816

WillJS

7. theISHkid macrumors regular

Will this affect scratch discs in programs like Final Cut? I want to rename mine too but I have a bunch of old final cut projects saved on discs that I will have to get to every now and then.

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

No, everything continues to work fine if you change the hard drive name. Don't know about the user folder. You can change the name, but not the short name. Doesn't cause any problems that I've ever seen. This isn't Windows. :p

9. theISHkid macrumors regular

Thank god... this guy named his hard drive weird japanese cartoon character names.

10. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

TBH I would avoid exotic characters and stick to a-Z & 0-9. You never know when an exotic character in a pathname will become a pain in the ass.

You might need to type in your HD name in Terminal or some other application will have an issue with it.

11. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

True dat. I don't really find the BSD guts of OS X to be quite as Unicode friendly as I'd hope anyway...

For your system drive, though, you're probably fine.

12. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

That's really cool!

I named mine batman, and labeled it yellow... and then named my red iPod robin, and labeled it red...

*runs out of topic*

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

There's a thread about this somewhere. People renaming their hard drives to weird things. Mine was Deus, with Tempus being a backup, and Manus for docs. My new one is just named InteliMac for now, my MBP is MacBook, and my backup is named Backup. I'll have to fix that someday.

14. FeNniX macrumors newbie

I just got one of the new Penryn MBP's, and I've been trying to change my HD's name to something else than Macintosh HD. Yet when I do this, it won't let me open some programs or even go into the desktop and screensave preference pane.... any ideas?