renaming multiple files - Mac unlike PC?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jackiesh, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Jackiesh macrumors newbie

I am trying to rename a whole bunch of photo files all at once. On a PC, all I do is highlight all files (using shift key, as in Mac), then right click and select "rename" (don't seem to have this option in Mac).
    After selecting "rename" the name of every file is then highlighted and once i change the name of the first file (say "Vacation_2010") then the entire file automatically changes name to "Vacation_2010_(1); Vacation_2010_(2).... and so on. It takes about 20 seconds and I can rename all my files.
    HOw do i get the same result using my new MacBook?

2. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Also be careful, if you try to merge folders in OS X, it will actually delete the original and replace it with the new one.

4. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Yes, a Mac is unlike a "PC". Was this your first clue?

6. Jackiesh thread starter macrumors newbie

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Well, there's usually something available to do things the OS won't do, or do things it does, but in an easier way, like those noted above. The main thing is that you have to learn what it can do, how to do it, and what you need to add to do things you want to do but can't. It just takes patience.

My frustration this week with Windows has been that I can't "label" things in Windows Explorer like I can in Finder. The only way I've found to "mark" files as "done" is to change the file name. Then when they're all done, I have to change all the file names back and then replace the old ones on an ftp site for others to access. It's more of a pain than labels, which can all be set to None with one operation.

It cuts both ways.

8. dejav macrumors newbie

Name Mangler is awsome for this.