Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dauw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2011
My Mac Pro hard drive has been running one Mac and one Windows partition for quite some time now. Recently I installed a second HDD and used Bootcamp to install Windows on that one as well. I was wondering if there is any way to change the names of the disks/partitions in the Bootcamp loader? Would make it easier to tell them apart since both of the Windows ones are named, well, Windows by default.

I changed the names of all three disks themselves and they show up correctly when I'm using them, but in the Bootcamp loader only the Mac partition displays the custom name. The other two are simply named "Windows". Any way around that?

Cheers :)

Nielsenius

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2011
Virginia
Unfortunately, there's no way to change the names of the items in the startup option menu. I believe the names are set by EFI and that can't be tampered with. Any operating system that isn't Mac OS X will be referred to as "Windows". You could install a modification called rEFIt which allows for some customization of the boot option screen. I have it installed and it works fine on Lion (at least after a few reboots). Here's a link:

http://refit.sourceforge.net/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.