Renaming Partitions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hyddan, Dec 19, 2007.

1. hyddan macrumors member

I have an external harddrive which I use for a media storage for a bunch of projects with application files stored at both location.

I hate the name of the drive and want to change it. I saw you could do this in the disk utility (and well, clicking on its icon).

Would this screw up the directory structure and thus breaking my projects and applications (which may or may not have the ability to relocate these files)?

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

just use the finder. i think you can only rename a drive in disk util if you reformat it. click on the disk in the finder and press "command-I" and change the name under "Name and Extension:"

for normal use this is fine you can rename your main hard drive without any problems but NEVER i repeat NEVER rename your home folder that leads to problems!

if its an external drive its fine too but you may have a few little quirks. say for example your downloads folder was on an external drive called "external HDD1" if you changed the name to "external HDD2" and downloaded something in safari the finder will create a folder called "external HDD2" in the Computer directory "/" with the downloaded file in it. so it doesnt screw anything up it just creates a folder because it cant find it. so make sure if you have any apps set to download to this drive change it in the apps preferences afterwards. parallels also doesnt like it if you change move your parallels file to a different disk and then rename it which i did :eek: