Renaming SIRI

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by x-android, May 24, 2015.

1. x-android macrumors newbie

i love siri. ;)

i love the continuity across my devices. :rolleyes:

however, when i call siri (hey siri) on my watch, all charging devices (of family, friends and visitors) all respond.:D

very minor issue. dont hate me. :(

i wish we could name siri. :cool: siri, youre name now is reek... :D

it will never happen though... :p

2. anez macrumors 6502

anez

I'm pretty sure anyone who ever had a Siri enabled device has wished for this.

I am unfortunately equally sure it will be a brisk day in hell before we see it happen. :(

3. ParishYoung macrumors 6502a

4. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Alternatives:

"Hey Cortana"

And for Android:

"Ok, Bing"

5. noles1983 macrumors regular

+1 for the GoT reference

6. acctman macrumors 6502a

acctman

It's part of the Apple brand, they're not going to allow you to rename siri...

7. bushido Suspended

bushido

yes its pretty stupid. i had to disable it on all my devices but one otherwise the iPad, iPhone 5 and iPhone 6 all go off when i ask for the time in the middle of the night

8. Mr.C macrumors 601

My iPhone and iPad use to react and open up Siri when the TV was on. Apparently anything that remotely sounded like "Hey Siri" use to set them off. I had to turn it off on both them as they are connected to a power supply most of the time at home with the TV being in the same room. I would like to have it active on my iPhone and iPad so I could activate Siri more easily but it's not practical for me.

9. 418 macrumors member

I'd be quite pleased if Apple brought in some sort of continuity so that Siri only started on one device. Clearly that wouldn't work for other peoples' devices, but since 'Hey Siri' requires the device be charging, I expect most people have this issue with two or more of their own devices, not one of theirs and one of someone else's.

I personally have the problem that when I set my alarm at night my iPad hears "Set my alarm for 6:30." And my phone hears "Set my alarm for 6:30 okay I've set your alarm for 6:30."

10. anez macrumors 6502

anez

Yep, this is why. Considering that you can teach Siri relationships (i.e., "my wife" = Carla or whatever) there's no way you couldn't teach it a new name for itself. Apple has purposefully chosen to omit this functionality for branding issues.

No matter how much it appeals to those of us who'd like to rename it to JARVIS or whatever, I can't see it ever being an option.

11. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

I know they won't do it, but one solution, that would still allow the Siri name to remain would be to allow you to number or otherwise identify which Siri you wanted to use. Examples:

"Hey Siri 1" or "Hey, Siri 2."

Or Possibly "Hey Siri watch" or "Hey, Siri iPhone," or "Hey, Siri iPad."

Then only the one unit would answer.

12. anez macrumors 6502

anez

This is the start of a good idea, but without owner recognition, this is no use if there are multiple people with multiple devices in the house.

13. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I just want to change hey Siri to yo Siri. I have wanted do this since day one. Doubt we'll ever see this though :(

14. Crazy Matt macrumors 6502

Crazy Matt

My devices go off when the one Apple Watch commercial comes on and the guy says "hey Siri"! Lol

15. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

We will see it. We've heard the rumblings about them possibly making the next Apple TV the brain for your household and enabling Siri on it.

As we have Apple Watch on our wrist, this would become painfully annoying quickly. (unless they make the watch the primary human interface device for home kit).

Hmm...

16. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

(In Scottish accent) "Hello computer...!"

17. anez macrumors 6502

anez

There are so many delightful options.

Then again, with some of these, I'm betting there'd be some duplication within friend groups... :p

18. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

19. Ben_Dover macrumors regular

Ben_Dover

i also would like that when you raise your wrist you see the time and complications BUT the complications stay on briefly then fades away in the background and all left is your clean and neat watch face. then you can tap the watch to view your complications again. it just looks cluttered so i stay with simple with just the 2 hands and second hand and date. the rest are in glances.

20. themikea macrumors regular

themikea

That's awesome :)

21. friedmud macrumors 65816

Another is to use different greetings:

Hey Siri
    Hello Siri
    Yo Siri
    Whatsup Siri
    Howdy Siri
    Bonjour Siri
    Goodday Siri
    Whatchadoin Siri
    Howsitgoin Siri

22. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Ouch. I know Siri has her flaws, but NOBODY SHOULD EVER BE TURNED FROM THEON GREYJOY TO REEK. EVAH. LIKE NEVAH EVAH.

23. JTR555 macrumors member

JTR555

I was reading about Apple's Siri update project - Just A Rather Very Incredible Scheduler. Yes, they went the Iron Man route with JARVIS. At least give us the option of calling it JARVIS. Heck, Steve Jobs was the single largest owner of Disney stock on account of the PIXAR sale, so there shouldn't be any major rights issues there.

24. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

Just because Steve owned Pixar stock which became Disney stock doesn't entitle Apple to any rights to Disney properties, though I'm sure there's still a very friendly relationship between many people at all three companies.

What if they skinned Siri? Allowed any developer (to be approved by Apple via the app store) to develop a personality overlay (including voice) that could be bolted on top of the Siri framework.

Yes...someone get Paul Bettany to finish the rest of her vocabulary right away.
    Ooh...or the James Earl Jones aka Darth Vader personal assistant.
    Ian McKellan for your Gandalf personal assistant.
    Etc, etc. Pick your favourite characters. :)

T'would be truly AWESOME!! :D

25. KateGladstone macrumors member

She always says, "I'd rather stick with Siri."