Renaming the Name

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by harisdozz, Dec 24, 2010.

1. harisdozz macrumors newbie

Hi,

As you can see in the following picture, My name is haris. and I want change it to Haris. H in Caps. How am I supposed to do that. I'm new to Mac.

[​IMG]

Thank you.

2. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

Changing the User short name is complicated with many steps. If your Mac is new and you haven't done a whole lot of configuring of the account, the easiest way is to just create a new account. You can do this in the Accounts preference pane in System Preferences.

3. AnnaCody macrumors regular

AnnaCody

Hello Haris, UGH, I think that's the first thing I noticed...oh how I hate lower case on names....I did a lot of researching and if I remember correctly...it can't be done....something about it being an old unix thing.

If that's not the case anymore I hope someone will tell us how to do it :confused:

Anna :apple:

4. KnoxHarrington macrumors newbie

It's doable, but it's very complicated, and has a very high risk that you'll render the Home folder unaccessable afterwards.

Here's the steps. Read over them all before you decide:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1428

One good thing: since you're running 10.6 (it appears), you can follow the relatively simple 10 step process, not the 45 step nightmare in 10.4 and earlier.

But, seriously, if you just can't live with it, you're probably better off creating a new user account with the short name spelled the way you want, migrating user data into that new account (via the Users/Shared folder), then deleting the old account.

5. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

The OP wants to change the short name to start with a capital letter. The shortname must be all lowercase. The referenced Apple support document even says so:

6. KnoxHarrington macrumors newbie

Yeah, realized that as soon as I posted it. There can be no spaces or capital letters in a short username.

Besides, just look at this article and you'll see the "bag of hurt" (to use a phrase someone used, can't remember who) renaming the short name gets you into. You're dealing with very low-level Unix permissions here.

7. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

Attached Files:

8. AnnaCody macrumors regular

AnnaCody

9. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

Months ago I created a new user in System Preferences>Accounts as a test user account. I didn't change the short user name of an existing account.

10. AnnaCody macrumors regular

AnnaCody