Renaming the "System" Folder?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Reigner, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Reigner macrumors newbie

I have renamed System Folders from Mac OS 8.6 to OS 9.2.2 and they can boot without a problem,making it possible to keep three systems on my G3 "Lombard" (10.4.11, 9.2.2, 8.6). I would like to know if it is possible to rename any of the Mac OS X System Folders (10.0.x to 10.4.x) and still make it possible to boot from.

I'd appreciate any help.

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Very Very bad idea.
    Do not rename or move any of the OSX system-created folders.

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i think you mean you have renamed your hard drive (grey hard disk icon) before which is fine. but DO NOT rename your System folder (blue folder with 'X' on it). i dont think you can even rename the system folder with Admin permissions without heading into terminal or enabling root.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You're much better off partitioning your drive if you want to boot multiple Mac OS X versions on it. That's what I did when I wanted to dual-boot Leopard and Tiger on a PPC iMac.

5. Reigner thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, I haven't renamed the internal HD in the time I've had it. The Only thing I have renamed is the OS 9.2.2 and 8.6 System Folders, which the G3 recognizes as Blessed System folders regardless of their name.

I may have phrased the question wrong. Here's a rephrase:

Can an OS X-bootable PowerBook recognize an OS X System Folder as a blessed System folder, regardless of the name?

I may have to experiment with an older version to do this.

6. deathshrub macrumors 6502

No. OS X does not work the same way as OS 9 did. That much should be evident.