Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Foggy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2006
London, UK
After finding that some of the apps I need don't work in parallels I decided to have a go at installing BootCamp and Windows XP. Everything seems to have gone OK and I have it all working but I must have missed when it asked me for a name for the windows partition so I now have a HDD icon on my desktop labelled 'Untitled' and if I load Disk Utility then it shows the Untitled partition with a mount point /Volumes/Untitled. Now I realise this isn't really much of an issue as everything is working as I would expect it to, but unfortunately I am extremely anal about stuff like this. Is there a way to change the name of the partition? Is my only option to restore to a single volume then split it again (yes I am that sad that I would)?

Thanks for any help

Guy Incognito

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2006
1. Boot into Windows.
2. Open Windows Explorer.
3. Right-click on the drive name.
4. Rename it.
5. Reboot into OS X.

The new drive name will appear.

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
If you made the partition NTFS you cannot change the name or icon because OS X cannot write to NTFS partitions. To do this you need the XP volume to be FAT32.

Edit: What Guy said may work, when I tried it in Vista it did not.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
I'd be interested to know if there is a way to do this too.

I originally installed Bootcamp with a FAT32 Windows partition and I was able to rename the drive right on my Mac desktop. This time I used an NTFS partition and I'm stuck with Untitled (so far :) ).

Edit: Whoa, two responses popped in before mine! Anyway, I tried Guy's procedure under Vista RC2 and it worked. When I booted back to OS X, I saw the new drive name. I thought I had tried that a while ago and found that it didn't work, but I guess not. I was running XP and an earlier version of 10.4, so maybe that was why it didn't work for me then, and apparently doesn't work for ChrisG.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Guy Incognito said:
1. Boot into Windows.
2. Open Windows Explorer.
3. Right-click on the drive name.
4. Rename it.
5. Reboot into OS X.

The new drive name will appear.

This works fine, even on an NTFS format.

The updated name will appear on the Mac side when you switch back to OS X.

EDIT: This works in both XP and Vista.

musicmajor66

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2008
I Did It Like This

I had the same problem and this is what worked. Restart and go to windows side. Then go to computer/c drive. Double click on the c drives name and it will let you edit it. Change the name to whatever you want then press the return or enter key. Eventhough the name will revert to what it was, the change will be made and will be displayed when you return to the mac side. Glad to help out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.