Renaming your Windows partition hdd?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by superspiffy, Sep 30, 2007.

1. superspiffy macrumors 6502a

My Windows Boot Camp partition is named "untitled." Is there anyway to rename it like what you can do with your Mac partition or your external hdds?

2. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

Did you choose for windows to be on an NTFS disk or on a FAT one? If it is fat, you can read and write (open files and copy/change files), if it is ntfs, you can only view files, not alter anything (including the name of the drive).

Its difficult to convert NTFS to FAT, your best bet is to reinstall XP, choosing FAT when asked.

Sorry.

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Thats a bit extreme advise. To rename it simply boot into windows and go into My Computer and rename it there, the partition should then be renamed accordingly.

4. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

I didn't find that to be the case, but perhaps I am wrong. I originally had an NTFS partition but could not send files to the windows partition and couldn't set the name. so I went with fat.

5. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

Quote from another thread:

6. jhkingsr macrumors regular

My bootcamp partition was called "NO_NAME" by default. I changed it to "WINDOWS XP" in OSX disk utility. Had no problems.

7. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

If the rive is NFTS that OS X isn't able to write to it (MacFuse does enable this through 3rd party route).

You should've been able to rename it while you where in windows dunno why that didn't work.

Or alternatively rename it so that is starts with a full stop, e.g. ".windows"

8. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

It doesn't matter how the Windows partition has been formatted - just renaming it in Windows will make the name also appear in OS X.