Render Farms with Windows & Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jakesaunders27, Jun 4, 2014.

1. jakesaunders27 macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

Hi All,

I have a Mac Pro at the moment which I use for editing, I want to build a Windows Server 2012 R2 server which I will use for file storage (RAID) to free up some bays in my Mac Pro, but I was thinking about using it also to send my files to from Final Cut Pro X, obviously Compressor isn't available on windows so basically what I'm asking is, is there a way to send a video from final cut to my windows server to render it? Whether it be compressor sending it to another program or whatever. Has anyone done what I'm trying to achieve?

Thanks

2. pwhitehead macrumors 6502

pwhitehead

As long as you're able to connect to it and it's a read/writtable drive.. You can transfer anything you want there.. For example. We have a b3000 windows imaging server at the tv station I work at.. Once I'm finished editing something in hd or sd(16:9) formats, I throw which compressor settings I want using compressor and add the location of the server.. It transfers just fine.. Again just make sure you have admin rights with read and write access and you should be just fine.

3. handsome pete macrumors 68000

He's talking about using the server as a renderer, not just a destination.

4. jakesaunders27 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

Yeah that's correct, thanks anyway pwhitehead

5. pwhitehead macrumors 6502

pwhitehead

It doesn't matter, lol.. Your still transferring files.. In that case just make sure if your going over a network, try and have a gigabit connection...

6. handsome pete macrumors 68000

Yeah, but there was a lot more to his question than just the ability to transfer files.

But to address the original question a little further, I don't know of too many Windows based solutions these days, but I might give the Sorenson products a look. They have a server version of Squeeze, their products run on Mac and Windows, and they have plugins for all the major NLEs. Not sure of the costs though.

7. jakesaunders27 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

Thanks for that I will take a look. Thanks a lot