Render nodes

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by EricTheRed71, Mar 11, 2010.

1. EricTheRed71 macrumors member

Hi all,

I am looking to expand my render farm (by between 2 & 4 machines depending on cost) & would appreciate some advice.

I currently have 8 Mac Pros ranging from the first quad 2.66 up to the 2008 Octo. All Mac Pros have a minimum of 16GB of RAM, most have 24GB & a couple have 32GB. They are all running Windows x64 on a 2nd hard drive & are used for high-poly Vray rendering with 3ds max.

I originally went for the Mac Pro as it was cheaper than a comparable Dell with the added bonus of being dual-boot capable. Setting up as a x64 workstation takes less than an hour & they are very reliable even running at full power for 24hrs a day.

So, the time has come for expansion & am a bit lost as to if the current Mac Pro (or the imminent update) is still competitive against the PC boys.

My requirements are:

CPU: 8 Core (as fast as possible)
    RAM: 24GB (absolute bare minimum - 32GB is better)
    Video card: irrelevant
    HD: 1 with approx 320GB is fine
    ***Ability to run flat out 24hrs a day for longer periods without sounding like a jet taking off (Dell Precision 650 I'm talking to you!)***

It's pointless to ask this on a PC board as the fanboys will just dismiss the Mac anyway & there seem to be quite a few people on here who know their stuff on both sides of the fence!

Any advice gratefully recieved!

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

You can grab mac pros in the refurb store for a savings of 15%-ish, if that helps make some of your cost-benefit decision.