Render times in the real world

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Artful Dodger, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Hello to all,

This question concerns the time advantage if any of using a Mac Pro with some video over my current method(s) with my MBP.

Over the last year I have been recording some seminars using my Canon HF-S21 (AVCHD) and I break up my video in parts such as Day 1, Part 1, Day 1, Part 2 and so on. Each part contains around 8-14GB of video which is around 50 minutes to an hour and a half (1.5 hrs). I archive the video after each part and once the event is done I then work on each part one at a time. I do most editing using iMovie/iDVD because the other person that helps from time to time doesn't have anything more program wise and that's fine keeping it simple for them.

My day ends up consuming around 4-6 hours from start to finish for each part using the 17" MBP in my sig. I'm trying to get some real world times of those using a Mac Pro since I'm really wanting to shave some time off the process where ever I can.

For those that have or do this all the time could you give me some real world times from using a Mac Pro and any advise on better time management, that would be great. I'm just trying to decide if making the jump a bit early to a MP is worth it in the long run.

I do remember reading something to the effect of the same size video would take about half the time using a MP but the search isn't finding that thread for me (I could have not typed it correctly or exact also).

Thanks a bunch :D

2. dtechlogic macrumors regular

Hi There,

For me it takes me 2 hours of time making it into DVD from a mac pro. look at sig. I use Adobe CS 5.5 adobe Premiere and Encore to make DVD. it has cut my work from 3 hours to 2 hours. It is a 1 hour 35 minutes video.

3. Artful Dodger thread starter macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to start a large project this fall aside from the other stuff mentioned so time will be important over the long run. Also it will be nice to have a computer to use while doing other things at the same time so the MBP won't be my work horse anymore per se.

Time will tell between FCPX or the Adobe programs for me but I do have time on my side at this point (no pun intended).

Thanks again :D