Rendering in Final Cut and an Color question.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Braby, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Braby macrumors member

How come every time I drag something on my timeline I have to render? If I expand or move it on the timeline I have to render again. It's really a pain and I was told it shouldn't be doing this.

Also, I imported my video onto Color to do some correction and when I send it back to Final Cut Pro, it's very small. I tried changing the geometry but it's still not as big as the original. Any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks a lot

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

FCP:

What Sequence/Project settings are you using with Final Cut?

And what settings has your media (the one you have to render every time)?

For instance, if you have a DV camera and capture the material using FCP with a DV setting, you will not have to render the media every time you move it around in the timeline.

But if have a QuickTime Trailer, which uses .h264 as a codec and use Aplle Intermediate Codec, then you have to render every time as both don't correspond very well.

Color: That also depends on the setting of the FCP project and the one in Color.

Maybe it's time to RTFM.

3. Braby thread starter macrumors member

These are my settings.

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/4350/fcpq.jpg

Does it matter what type of file I convert it to before importing to FCP? I used a DVC Pro camera from school, dubbed it onto a DVD and converted to avi.

After looking at the settings, do I just match them all up to the correct ones and it should let me work without rendering?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Why don't you just import from the DVCPro camera?

Dubbing it to DVD and then converting it to an .avi (AVI is a header, not a codec; which codec you use is important, like DIVX, Indeo, or ...) only means loss of quality.

Like a copy of a copy of a copy.

DVCPro has a data rate of 25 Mbit/s (3.25 MB/s) or if it's DVCPro 50 it has 50 Mbit/s (6.5 MB/s).
    A DVD has a maximum of 9 Mbit/s (1.125 MB/s) and converting it to whatever codec you use may mean another degradation of data rate.

And FCP doesn't like .avi, you better use a QuickTime based format like .mov if you want to go the dubbing to DVD route. And a codec which FCP likes like AIC, Apple ProRes or DV (CPro).

PS:I see you used Divx, a distribution codec, and not an editing codec. As you can see your data rate is 300 KB/s.

You lost 11x the quality of the source (even if the picture doesn't look like it) - 3.25 MB/s original to 300 KB/s now.

Divx uses MPEG-4, and it does not encode every frame of your video, it only stores the change from one frame to the next.

If you capture directly to FCP, the codec you will use then stores every frame, even if compressed, but the video is already compressed stored on tape.

PPS: There is no setting for editing in FCP with a Divx encoded video.

PPPS: Can't you import into iMovie or FCP at school and transport those files via an external drive? Can't you ask to take the camera home with you and capture there? Do you have classes concerning Film Making?

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

From the Manual of FCP, page 22, the introduction:

Video Formats Compatible with Final Cut Pro

Long before editing begins, the most basic decision you need to make is which format
    to shoot with. The format you choose affects the equipment needed for editorial work,
    as well as how the finished product will look.

Final Cut Pro uses QuickTime technology, allowing you to use almost any digital video
    format available. This flexibility ensures that your Final Cut Pro editing system always
    works with the latest video formats.

DV editing: Final Cut Pro supports DV video natively, using your computer’s built-in
    FireWire port for capture and output. DVCAM, DVCPRO, DVCPRO 50, and DVCPRO HD
    are also natively supported. Therefore, your system requires no additional hardware
    to edit DV material on your computer. You can capture, edit, and output exactly the
    same data that is recorded on tape, resulting in no quality loss.

Broadcast and high definition (HD) video formats: Final Cut Pro supports the latest
    broadcast and HD video formats. With appropriate equipment, you can capture, edit,
    and output uncompressed standard definition (SD) and HD formats such as Digital
    Betacam, D-5 HD and HDCAM.

Project interchange: Support for project interchange formats allows Final Cut Pro to
    integrate into existing broadcast and post-production systems. Final Cut Pro is
    compatible with formats such as EDL, OMF, and the Final Cut Pro XML Interchange
    Format. For more information, see Volume IV, Chapter 10, “Importing and Exporting
    EDLs.” You can also refer to Volume III, Chapter 10, “Exporting Audio for Mixing in
    Other Applications.” For information on the Final Cut Pro XML Interchange Format,
    see Volume IV, Chapter 11, “Using Final Cut Pro XML and QuickTime Metadata.”

QuickTime-compatible files: Because Final Cut Pro uses QuickTime technology, almost
    any QuickTime-compatible file format can be imported and exported. This allows you
    to import files created in video editing, motion graphics, and photo editing
    applications. For a list of all formats that you can import, see Volume IV, Chapter 16,
    “Learning About QuickTime.”

Using Multiple Video Formats in a Sequence
    A mixed-format sequence is a sequence containing clips whose media files don’t
    match the sequence format. For example, a DV sequence containing HDV footage is
    a mixed-format sequence. Final Cut Pro can play sequence clips in real time even when
    the clips’ settings don’t match those of the sequence. Any number of formats can be
    combined together in a single sequence. For more information, see Volume III,
    Chapter 30, “Working with Mixed-Format Sequences.”

6. Braby thread starter macrumors member

The only reason I don't capture from the DVC cameras is because I don't have a tape deck available since I am editing from my iMac. I am looking to buy a MacBook Pro and if I do that I'll be able to bring it to school and use the decks they have there.

Is there a cable that I could use to connect the camera to my computer for capturing or do I have to use a deck? If that's possible I could take the camera home and capture it.

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes, you need a FireWire 400 cable from 4-pin to 6-pin.

The 4-pin socket goes into the camera, the 6-pin into the iMac.

Except if you have on of those 2009 iMacs. Then you need 4-pin to 9-pin Firewire 800 cable.

Some pictures:

Camera:
    [​IMG]

iMac:
    [​IMG]

4 to 6 cable:
    [​IMG]

4 to 9 pin cable:
    [​IMG]

Taking the camera home is more than worth the hassle of encoding and decoding.

And it takes only one hour per cassette.

8. Braby thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a lot for the help. I don't know if I can do it for this assignment since it's due shortly, but even finding out about the DiVx has helped. I converted the DVD to DV with VisualHub for now and I don't have to render.

I'll be sure to capture my next assignment with the DVCPro Camera.

Does the FireWire 800 make it better quality or is it just faster? I'm just wondering if they only have 4-6 if that would work.

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

No, as the maximum data rate for DV is 3.25 MB/s and FW 800 has a data rate of about 60 to 70 MB/s. FW 400 is more than enough with up to 40 MB/s.

So it will not load faster as the capture will have to be in real time.
    There are systems (especially at broadcasting networks) where DVCPro material is digitized into the system with 4 times the normal speed. But it's only feasible for news gathering and so on.

Have fun editing. And for more questions regarding FCP try the user manual, it has a lot information about this piece of software. It maybe overwhelming, but you get the hang of it.
    If the manual doesn't help, be sure to post in the Digital Video sub-forum of this board, as there are a lot of knowledgeable people in there.