Rendering in Final Cut Express

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by benjani86, May 12, 2009.

1. benjani86 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Quick question:

I am using Final Cut Express, and find it really strange that every single thing I do needs to be rendered, even down to the very first addition to the time line, before any effects or titles or anything has been added to it. I've just dragged a 30 minute video from the media browser into the timeline, and now have to wait 2 hours for it to render before I can even preview it and cut out the couple of minutes I actually want to use! I'm using a top of the range Mac Book Pro from late 2008, so I wouldn't have thought I'd have to wait this long.

Surely there must be another way to preview and edit footage before doing a render? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

T.I.A

Ben

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

your media doesn't match your sequence settings.

3. benjani86 thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you know how to rectify this? The media file is in MP4 format.

Thanks,

Ben

4. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

oh, it's hopeless. :p You must convert it to DV or something like that. mp4 is not an editing format. Convert with quicktime or something. I *think* it's faster.

Maybe (but I don't believe so) you can change your sequence to mp4.

5. TheNightPhoenix macrumors 6502

It would be easier to double click the clip, thus opening it in the viewer, select the section you want by adding in and out points and then drag that to the timeline.

As for matching your sequence settings... I think it's going to be a world of pain.
    You need to go to sequence/sequence settings/ and adjust things there. If you don't get the exact settings it's still going to want to render it. What type of camera has this come from?

6. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

open the media in MPEGstreamclip and convert it to something like DV (SD) or AIC (HD). then bring the video into FCE and set your sequence settings to match the video.