rendering on MacBook Pro - 80 celcius

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dafke, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Dafke macrumors 6502

Dafke

At the moment I am rendering a large image in Maya on my MacBook Pro and it has been busy for over an hour non stop. I checked my CPU temperatures and it says CPU A is 80 degrees Celcius. Is this not a bit too hot? I see my fans are not yet working on full force (4500 rpm) so I'm not really worried but the rendering will take at least another hour so when is hot too hot?

2. mac2be macrumors member

You pretty much hit the type of temperature that can damage (in the long run) any consumer level CPU. Try the following (if you haven't already):

- Use a program to speed up the fans.
    - Get an iLap or put the laptop on books in a way that creates a lot of space around the base for air circulation.
    - If you have an actual fan that you use when it's hot, place it nearby the back of the laptop (not right there, just in the area).

This should keep your laptop up to 20/30 C less.

3. LeviG macrumors 65816

dont forget its a mobile cpu and it can run hotter than a desktop cpu (generally). iirc the c2d merom processors can go upto 100C.

edit: to the op - why on earth are you using a laptop to render something from maya!

4. Dafke thread starter macrumors 6502

Dafke

Why not? I only occasionally have to render such a large image and a good laptop should be able to do it - off course a bit slower than a desktop.

What is a good program to control the fans? I found smcFancontrol but it only allows you to set a minimum rpm.

edit - OK I set the minimum to 6000 now lets see

5. Dafke thread starter macrumors 6502

Dafke

Allright! It is allready down to 72 degrees, cool!

6. LeviG macrumors 65816

small machines heat up really easily (as you noticed) and when a rendering an animation which could take in excess of 24hours, its not exactly what most people would advise.

I specifically have a desktop(s) purely for rendering files because I have seen the way that even the desktops heat up after 5hours+ of rendering, they can add an additional 5C and thats in a well ventilated case.

7. KidOtaku macrumors newbie

Ah, all those heat issues... this is really new to me. I am buying a new MBP next week, and so far the only laptops I owned were ultraportable Dells (X200 and X300), and frankly heat is simply not part of the equation at all! I really wonder how the heat issue will affect my MBP experience...

8. eenu macrumors 65816

eenu

Thats wrong up to 100C is within spec

EDIT: Damage does not occur until 125C

9. mac2be macrumors member

Sorry about my disinformed comment. I based my comment on desktop CPUs where, at least back in the days, 80°C were a critical temperature. :eek:

10. eenu macrumors 65816

eenu

No problem.... to be honest i can't blame you for thinking any different when people go around moaning about machines being to hot, that is in no way directed at the OP.

11. thefoo macrumors member

Surely that's chip dependant?

Either way, 100C sounds far too close to melting my testicals let alone a chip.

12. eenu macrumors 65816

eenu

chips are made of silicon.... doesn't damage until 125C.

Its also stated by Intel.

13. katorga macrumors regular

They all get hot...

Intel's "cool running" mobile chip hype is hype. The Pentium M, Core Duo and Core2 Duo all have run very hot for me. My MBP 2.4 has hit 87C at load and seems to idle between 43-51C, with no rhyme or reason behind the spread.

My Acer 8104 under load would hit 92-96C.

My Dell M70 runs cool (2" thick, it ought to) at around 68C.

My Dell 410 (1.6 Pentium-M) runs 80ish under load.

My ancient TiBook 800Mhz was a scorcher too, but I cannot remember what the temps where.

14. theguy126 macrumors newbie

I found a solution

Step 1: Elevate the macbook pro by 2-5 inches, by propping it up on the left and right sides with anything. Make sure that most of the middle-back area is exposed to air.

Step 2: Get one of those small upright cylinder-shaped fans that blow a focused vertical airstream. Turn it on its side and place it directly behind your macbook pro, so that it ventilates the air underneath it.

Step 3: Enjoy running your macbook pro under full load at a mere 64 degrees Celsius, as opposed to 81 degrees. :)

15. zorahk macrumors 6502

That temp is not hot enough to damage the computer. You are fine.

16. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21