Rene Ritchie has a great article on bands

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Esoom, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Esoom macrumors 6502

Esoom

2. februarian macrumors 6502

februarian

I'll be going for the Milanese band! My Apple Watch should stand out with an industrial design just like my iPhones & Macs, methinks! I would stray as far as possible from anything that makes my Apple Watch look generic or common, if you know what I mean!

3. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

Then you're choosing the wrong band. Milanese style bands are very common. This one is slightly better designed, sure, but, that won't stand out without an explanation.

The most visibly unique band design is the leather loop, for better or worse.

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Very helpful details compendium of all the options -- dare I say better than Apple's own site. I'm going to stick with the stock rubber band in hopes there will be 3rd party choices. Otherwise I might opt for a classic buckle. I don't mind a rubber band on my running watch, but that's all I do with it. I can't see wearing a rubber band otherwise. Too kiddy-isn.

5. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

Why is the white sport band so much heavier than the black one?

6. Armen, Mar 23, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2015

Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I've had some mixed feelings about the Milanese loop so I'm going with the classic leather buckle instead.

- The Milanese loop likes like metal in some videos and fabric in others.
    - One side of the loop is thicker where it connects to the watch (for obvious reasons) so that throws off the symmetry of the watch (as would the other loop type bands).

All this is based on the Internet so I have yet to see the band in person. I'm playing it safe with the leather band with the assumption that on launch the stores will be sold out and I may not be able to return the one I got for a Milanese loop if I happen to like it more in person.

7. ledzepfan1981 macrumors regular

ledzepfan1981

8. Tycho24 Suspended

Tycho24

I was wondering the same!

9. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

I mean, it's not just by a couple grams. The white one is 25% heavier. Very odd.

10. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Probably the materials used to make the white band white simply weigh more. Same reason a quart of white paint weighs more than a quart of black paint. Titanium dioxide makes white paint white, so maybe that's it.

11. Tycho24 Suspended

Tycho24

Now we know why Tim rocks it... it's heavy duty! ;0)

12. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I think the black/white Sport band weights may be a mistake. I can't see a colour changing the weight by that much.

In any case, I'm thinking of going Apple Watch Sport with a white band, then either a black or blue leather loop if I get the 42mm or a third party band if I get the 38mm.

13. jordanst macrumors member

jordanst

I think they increase the density of the lighter bands to reduce the dirt absorption.

14. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yes, this is the most plausible theory. Black sport bands don't show dirt as easily so they can be less dense. The lighter the color, the density and therefore the weight increases.

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, thanks for sharing OP.

16. Skylitfly macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I agree with you.

In my opinion the leather loop is the most interesting looking band at the moment. Really liking it.

My personal favorite however is the space black SS with the link bracelet but it's way too expensive for me.

17. Esoom thread starter macrumors 6502

Esoom

I love the site/forums here, glad to be able to post something useful. :)

Have belonged to Anandtech forums forever (still in shock Apple managed to hire Anand-and seriously impressed), but the forums there are all Android all the time, gets old very fast...

18. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

It's more likely a case of the pigments used in the colored bands having a lower density than the white fluorelastomer itself, displacing some of the material in order to color the material.

You can't really increase the density of a polymer just like that, it has the density it has inherently, it is, like with most any other type of synthetic material, a function of its molecular makeup. Synthetic rubber doesn't compress like wood for example would... :)

19. jordanst macrumors member

jordanst

Cool! Thanks for the info.