Renewing contract with FAN discount- do they check it again?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DarthNinja, Nov 9, 2010.

1. DarthNinja macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I currently have an iPhone 3G with a discounted rate I received through my employers FAN discount. Now I'd like to upgrade to an iPhone 4. The problem is, I no longer work for a company that has a FAN discount. Does AT&T ask for proof of employment when renewing, or will I continue getting the same rate if I keep my mouth shut when buying the new phone? Thank you.

2. millertime021 macrumors 6502a

millertime021

Our family plan is through a past employer. They haven't asked in 4 years. :cool:

Knock on wood.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, they never checked mine for over 4 years that I had it now and I did a few renewals/upgrades.

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Same for me: after I first enrolled, they've never checked since.

HOWEVER, that might be because I'm using my work e-mail (with <user>@<employername>.com) on my account, and so all contract renewal notices and such go to that address. If I changed my e-mail to a non-work address, maybe things would be different? I don't know.

5. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

if you are renewing they don't check again... In your AT&T account change the work email to your personal before going...

6. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

I changed my email address with AT&T when I left my former employer; they never asked when I upgraded to the iPhone 4 this year and the discount is still in effect. I've wondered what would happen if I tried to switch to a family plan though.

7. magicpinkdrink macrumors member

magicpinkdrink

I don't think they check, my husband was on his dealer plan well after he stopped working for at&t, and only lost it when he switched it to a family plan to add me on. Now we have a corp. discount through Zales Corp. which is his former employer (and my current employer, so let them try to take it away!) and they haven't asked for proof that he still works for them even though we have both upgraded recently

8. iMAVERICKam macrumors member

They never check again. In fact I signed up for the discount program when I switched to AT&T to get the original iPhone, but of course the original iPhone wasn't covered in the discount then. I lost my job with that company in March 2008, but when I bought the iPhone 3G in February 2009 from an AT&T-owned retail store the discount finally kicked in since iPhone 3G was FAN eligible; store employees never asked me about my employment situation. Now I have an iPhone 4 that I purchased from Apple and still receive the discount.

The discount will remain in effect & will apply to all lines. I know from personal experience: I added a friend to my account and later split her off to her own account. What's weird is that she got all of the rollover minutes from both of our lines but she did not get the discount on her new single line account while I still got it.

9. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

They never even asked for proof when I FIRST got my discount! ;) :D ;)