Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
When your .Mac subscription expires and you don't renew it, can you buy it again at a later date and still get the same username (provided nobody takes it), or does that username become off limits for a certain period of time?

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
I think your will still be connected to your name/info as long as someone else doesn't take it. So if you have a good name, it's best to not let your subscription lapse.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
tfaz1 said:
I think your will still be connected to your name/info as long as someone else doesn't take it. So if you have a good name, it's best to not let your subscription lapse.

Thank you. My .Mac expired in a few days, so I just wanted to be sure if I didn't renew before that deadline, if I still had access to my same username for as long as no one else takes it.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
I definetly know there is some 30 day protection for something, but that is probably for trial accounts, allowing you to use your account name after you've had some time to think.

You're good since it's only been a few days. :)

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Freg3000 said:
I definetly know there is some 30 day protection for something, but that is probably for trial accounts, allowing you to use your account name after you've had some time to think.

You're good since it's only been a few days. :)

Thanks.

Actually that should have said "expires", not "expired" (I need sleep :D). In expires in a few days so I still have time.

Steve.s

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2005
You can keep the name as long as you use it as your aim/ichat login.

My .mac expired months ago but I have kept the name.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.