Rent an iPhone in US for use in Japan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Xtreambar, Dec 16, 2007.

1. Xtreambar macrumors regular

My girlfriend is about to travel from the USA to Japan for about three weeks. She would like to rent an iPhone here in the US for a month and then use it in Japan. Is there any way for her to do this? Thanks in advance!

2. Archie- macrumors regular

3. Ninja Dom macrumors 6502

Ninja Dom

As far as I'm aware the iPhone won't work with Japanese networks as it does not support UMTS (3G GSM).

4. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

yah i had this problem when i wanted to buy a phone from japan and bring it back to the us.

5. Xtreambar thread starter macrumors regular

Any good alternatives? Primarily, she wants to have an iPhone in Japan so that she can use Google Maps and with the iPhone it just works. Next best idea?

6. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Any 3G phone will support google maps. Windows Mobile phones support google maps, so do Nokia S60 phones.

Hell, a plain ol' featurephone will support google maps.

7. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

portable GPS system? i think the garmin ones can be used as personal GPS units?

8. method525 macrumors member

You are going to need a phone that has the 2100 frequency on the UMTS side, which rare.

9. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

yah a personal gps would serve her much much better.

10. orgazmo macrumors newbie

I used my Cingular 8525 there and it worked great. Its a bit pricey to use there (even compared to normal international rates) but it worked great.

iPhone will not work there

11. mrochester macrumors 65816

LOL, that's quite an amazing statement since every 3G phone in the world, bar those for NA and a few other select regions, has UMTS 2100. The 'rare' devices are those that support the 850/1900 that NA uses.

12. alohamark macrumors newbie

Best Iphone And Sim Rentals In Japan

Lived in Japan many years and the main thing you need to be concerned with is coverage. There are three main service providers - which NTT DoCoMo is the largest. Softb*** #3 sells the iPhone in Japan, but their coverage is :( in some city areas (especially buildings) and worse outside the metropolitan areas. If your within the city expect coverage.

NTT DoCoMo is by far the best :) cellular network in Japan. If you can get your hands on a sim rental provided by JCR CORP www.jcrcorp.com you can't miss with your unlocked iPhone. You can also tether if you've got the experience. If you don't have an unlocked iPhone, JCR can also rent you a Japan iPhone w/Unlimited Data for about $60 a week although this is on the Softb*** network :(. Look very carefully, when selecting you rental phone or sim card. Some companies have hidden fees which will be billed later, or do not indicate which network their using. Also, ask about the call rates - most likely VOIP rates, which you can make yourself via SKYPE.

Good hunting!

13. CoastieCook macrumors newbie

I know this is a little late...

...for your girlfriend's trip. But I was looking for the same thing for the same reasons for an upcoming trip to Japan (Google Maps/GPS functions). Tokyo is one of (if not) the most confusing cities in the world to navigate, and you need as much help as you can get. And "war-walking" for open WiFi APs on an iTouch/iPad is waaaay more difficult than one would think, as most Japanese homes/hotels/businesses either use wired Ethernet or lock their APs.

Sorry, I'm rambling.

I guess it's now possible to rent an iPhone 3GS in Japan for use in Japan through "Global Advanced Communications". If you have a jailbroken iPhone, they also rent SIM cards, 3G high-speed data cards, and pocket cellular WiFi hotspots. Pick up and drop off are available at the airport, and return can be by prepaid mail.

Also, like alohamark mentioned, JCR rents iPhones (4 or 3GS), or Android phones (blyech), but their rates seem really high to me. They rent SIM cards too, but from the way it looks, only for non-jailbroken phones (honestly, their fine print is pretty confusing, so I may be getting that bit wrong). Delivery is available at the airport (fee) or at your hotel.

Hope this info is useful for anyone on their way to Japan. :D

Cheers,
    Mike