Rent DVD's etc. by the hour

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by mscriv, Dec 10, 2009.

1. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

[​IMG] LINK

This just seems odd. I guess it works though for a college campus. It's interesting to me that while retail chains are closing all over the country these rental kiosks are popping up everywhere. With download and direct mail becoming the preferred method it seems odd that companies are investing in this as it seems to have a limited scope and possibly limited future.

2. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Cool.

I could see that being really useful if you lived close to one (college campus being a good example). 6 cents an hour is peanuts and I could see popping by a kiosk for a few movies on a Saturday morning and returning them in the evening. Would be especially great for parties.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Me too... here we have some, but they're all out in supermarkets and stores outside the city... if there were ones in the core city, e.g. on my walk to and from work, I'd see myself renting on impulse from them.

I think it'll be a long time before download and mail completely replace other forms of rental. I don't watch enough to justify Netflix or BB mail service -- I used to have them and after a while, I just don't watch the movies and I'm paying $18/mo to have them sit on the coffee table.

Online rental is nice, but the price has to come down (and it seems, if anything, prices for music/video content on iTunes are only getting more expensive). If I could stream movies, legally, in Hulu or better quality for $1/movie, I would choose that over this or Redbox readily, though.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I've used Redbox before. There are several that located closer to me than Blockbuster. Rates are better than Comcast's On Demand. As for the by the hour ones, I agree that they would probably be a big draw on or near college campuses.

5. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

The recession closed it down :( :( but last year there was a store called Moviebank 2 minutes walk from my ex's flat.

The shop was just filled with those machines and there was a similar pricing structure. It was fantastic.

So cheap and if you couldn't sleep you just wandered up, got a movie, watched it and then took it back. I remember just doing a marathon last Christmas and it only cost me about £5.

There was a similar shop on my street in Austria. I was DELIGHTED to see it. I'm not into digital downloads yet, too expensive and too many restrictions.

6. Blinkwing macrumors member

Not to mention no subtitles for foreign speakers, deaf/hard of hearing people.

Which is why I won't be bothering with any legal alternatives for a loooong time to come.

7. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Great for parties?? Who goes to a party and sits around watching movies"?

8. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

I wonder if the braintrust behind BigBox realizes that this makes it even cheaper for those who "rent, rip and return". Many laptops nowadays can rip a full DVD in less than an hour.