Rent HD movie - ATV only!?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by vwDavid, Mar 4, 2010.

1. vwDavid macrumors regular

Hi Folks,

For some weeks I scoured this forum trying to choose mini vs. ATV. I basically chose the mini but haven't actually purchased it yet. The mini seemed so much more versatile that ATV in almost all regards. However, I am now learning, I think, but need confirmation that one can ONLY rent itunes HD movies when using an ATV.

Is this true? Is there any work around? Is there any way to rent itunes HD movies on a mac mini HTPC?

thanks
    David

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

You are correct. HD rentals through the iTunes Store are exclusive to the AppleTV.

3. mstrze macrumors 68000

Never considered this...since I use AppleTV as my HTPC, but as with the OP, this could make or break the decision for some people who are looking to choose between :apple:TV and the Mini.

4. SeeMeRock macrumors newbie

Just get both. You can find a pretty inexpensive :apple:TV on craigslist nowadays.

5. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Is this specific to an initial release or an introductory time frame from release because I'm looking at Star Trek in iTunes on my macbook right now and I have the option for HD Rental ($4.99)?

I was aware there were some HD rentals that are exclusive to the :apple:TV but doesn't appear to be everything.