Rent lens, bodies, and gear

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by guyducati, May 3, 2010.

1. guyducati macrumors regular

I came upon this site the other day, and thought I would share.

http://www.lensrentals.com/for-canon

Basically you can rent anything photography related; lens, bodies, tripods, lighting, etc, for reasonable prices. This would be very nice for long trips, or if you want to rent a body for a few days before you blow a few hundred dollars on it to see if you like it. You can usually rent things for 4 days to a maximum of 60 days.

Pretty cool, eh?

2. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

There are several places that do that. I have rented from lensrentals.com and had a good experience.

3. Wacky Jackson macrumors member

Wacky Jackson

Great find. I plan on using something like this in the future.

4. Presha macrumors regular

I've used them several times. I've rented and bought used equiptment from them. In my book they are the best and I will continue to use them!

5. Stratification macrumors regular

We've used them before and also http://lensprotogo.com/ and had great experiences with both. It's a brilliant way to try out a lens before purchase, or just use some glass beyond what you can purchase right now.

6. carlgo macrumors 68000

Also is a good idea for the many who post here because they are taking a once in a lifetime trip and wonder which P&S to buy. Heck, rent the best cameras and lenses available and do it the best way possible.

7. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I have a couple lenses I'd like to use before I decide whether to buy, so a rental would be perfect. I also like the fact that the OP's linked site compares the lens to other similar lenses and disusses potential problems enountered by other customers so you know if the lens has a higher than average failure rate.

8. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

The problem with this is that better gear does not equate to better pictures. However renting does seem like a good strategy for "try before you buy" or for those equipment which are simply out of the price range for many normal folk (i.e. $10,000 600mm lenses, etc).

I myself am considering renting a Zeiss MF prime for a trip coming up. I have been thinking about buying one but think it would be wise to rent first, as it is not a cheap lens and I would like to know if I can commit to a MF only lens first.

Ruahrc

9. guyducati thread starter macrumors regular

Ya, I agree with all of you. I'm planning on going on a vacation this summer, and I was going to buy a flash, which would set me back $150. I'm thinking it might be a better idea to just rent it for $25 or so.