Renting an Apple TV

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Texas04, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

So, I have a dilemma. I will be leaving my "home" in six months for college. :D

If this happens, I don't get to take my precious Mac with me nor my music nor my movies. But, I still want to be able to play them on the awesome HD TV I have at "my" house. An Apple TV would do nicely, but I don't want to purchase one full price to use for 6 months.

Here is the question: Is there a place that I can rent an Apple TV for 6 months?

2. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I never heard of renting, but you can maybe buy one and sell it after you're done with it. Or look on ebay for a used one that will be cheaper.

3. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Yup, that's probably your best bet...

4. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

I don't think you can rent a one but I know that you can buy a used or a cheaper one at ebay or amazon...

5. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

RENT?? That wouldn't be the best bet. If it is $10/mo (I have no idea how much it would really be) that $60 at the end of the semester would account for a significant amount of a used ATV. What about next year?

Also, how would you be able to access your media when you're not at home?

6. Texas04 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Texas04

Well if you take a new Apple TV at $230... and take away the $60 rent fee that is a "savings" of $170. The school I *hopefully* will go to doesn't allow music or movies your first year. We have to earn that privilege, so I would not be able to access my media for a year - I would rather take that $170 savings and apply it to a new Apple TV (if they are ever updated) when I can use it year round.

7. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

Why buy new when you can buy from ebay or amazon where you're protected from lemons? Anyway, I'm sure you're not gonna find what you're looking for.

It's not really 'savings' when you're going to end up buying it anyway. Would you rent a car for a year, return it, then buy the same car new from a dealer?

8. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

Wow.
    What kind of school are you going to?!
    That's the most insane thing I've ever heard of!

9. socco macrumors regular

Are you going to school in Nazi Germany or something? How can they not allow music or movies?

10. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I'd shoot myself if I didn't have music

11. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

12. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

I'd have to agree with you, some crazy rules there.

13. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

14. beejam macrumors member

15. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

It's amazing how carelessly people throw out terms as if it's no big deal. You can't honestly think it's a fair comparison to contrast massive genocide and crimes against humanity with being unable to watch movies. z0mg, I kant wach mooviez, u r a nazi!

Whatever.

16. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Some may argue that not allowing entertainment is a rather fascist thing to do. So yeah oppression is a rather fascist tactic. Unlike a fascist occupation however people can choose not to go to this school. Would it be better to say the school must be in a fascist Italian school?

My not be the best comparison, but you can't really accuse the poster of "throwing out terms as if no big deal".

17. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

No, it would not. Asking people to refrain from certain behaviors as an agreement when they enroll in your school is just a *tad* different from forcibly removing people and executing them.

Restrictions are not inherently fascist. Even the most liberal establishments have rules. Is it fascist for Berkeley to require students to wear clothing? What about schools that require alcohol free dorms?

If you honestly see this as comparable with NAZI Germany, I don't really think we have anything to say to each other. You might consider rereading some history books.

18. Tinknock71 macrumors 6502

Tinknock71

maybe try craigslist worth a shot, have seen them cheap on there.

19. socco macrumors regular

I'll go read some history books. Meanwhile why don't you open up a dictionary and look up the word "hyperbole". Or the word "joke". Maybe "sarcasm".

20. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Or even "entitlement issues." :rolleyes:

21. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

Oh, a joke. Right.

Holocaust, so funny!

You completely missed my point.

22. socco macrumors regular

I got your point, but if a harmless comment like that offends you so much you need to lighten up.