Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
Hey guys, this is my first post in the photography section.

I currently only have a 3o0d and a couple of lenses, nothing special, but I'm not a professional so it's suited me up until now.

I'm lucky enough to be going to Austria in a couple of weeks to watch England training (they're a couple of minutes from a friends house) and wanted to get some good shots of the players etc being put through their paces and decided on renting some good equipment to make sure I can get some good shots.

I guess I'm just asking for places where people have had a good experience, and also any advice on camera/lens combinations to get some good shots.

Thanks for any help you can give me :)

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
I've heard good things about lensesforhire, but I haven't used them yet myself.

I emailed them a couple of months ago to ask whether their insurance covered overseas too. Seems that it does:

"This insurance does cover overseas. When you place the order on-line, if you could just let us know where you are going"

Where in the UK are you based? Places like Calumet and The Pro Centre rent camera lenses and bodies - but I think you'll find that bodies cost a lot more (probably £150+ for the week).

Your 300D is a decent enough camera - with a lens like the 100-400IS you could get some great shots at a distance. If you were tempted to rent a better body, you might be better off selling your 300D and instead putting the money towards picking up a used 450D on eBay.

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
Thanks guys.

I've heard good things about lensesforhire, but I haven't used them yet myself.

I emailed them a couple of months ago to ask whether their insurance covered overseas too. Seems that it does:

"This insurance does cover overseas. When you place the order on-line, if you could just let us know where you are going"

Where in the UK are you based? Places like Calumet and The Pro Centre rent camera lenses and bodies - but I think you'll find that bodies cost a lot more (probably £150+ for the week).

Your 300D is a decent enough camera - with a lens like the 100-400IS you could get some great shots at a distance. If you were tempted to rent a better body, you might be better off selling your 300D and instead putting the money towards picking up a used 450D on eBay.

I have thought about selling the 300d with the lenses I have and put it towards another, better camera, but I've my eyes on a new TV and laptop too, so priorities and all that.

I think I'll just rent a lens then, thanks. I will email and ask if they are okay with it. And I'm down the south in Hove, nr Brighton.

:)

EDIT: I have just realised that I've been recommended lenses for hire before, so I will use them. Is this the lens you were refering to? http://www.lensesforhire.co.uk/canon-ef-100-400mm-f45-56-l-is-usm-11-p.asp

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Just a passing thought but have you thought about renting the lenses when you are out there? No need to worry about international insurance and it may end up being cheaper. You may also be able to chop and change.

I.e. 400mm one day
80-200mm the next ...

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
How far are you going to be from them. I can tell you right now 200mm is going to be too short. What about a 300mm f/4? the 100-400IS is good, and there is the 400 5.6L. The 1200mm is great, but it is currently $120K at BH right now:).

I second the insurance. You NEED to call and make sure your homeowners/renters insurance covers this. Mine did not by default. I added 2 separate lenses for $1200 each, so that way when i rent, both of my lenses are covered.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
I second the insurance. You NEED to call and make sure your homeowners/renters insurance covers this. Mine did not by default. I added 2 separate lenses for $1200 each, so that way when i rent, both of my lenses are covered.

Jeez - read the other posts! The rental place we're discussing includes international insurance in their standard fee!

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
sorry, no need to have a heart attack. It is always better to be double covered anyways. I have AC on my MBP and my renters insurance covers' ANYTHING that happens to my Mac. I could drop it, and it is covered. Just sayin'..

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
Thanks guys, I have emailed them and decided to use them :)

mjsanders5uk

macrumors regular
May 11, 2009
Hire

I know its too late but for next time:

Most professionals around London use Calumet in Drummond St. Not sure but you might need your own insurance. There a few others like Rocket and Snap but Calumet are well respected and have a huge range.

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
I'm not going until the end of May, so will take this into consideration, thanks :)

sonor

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
London, UK
I've used Calumet on Drummond Street several times and have been perfectly happy with them...but they're not cheap.

You have to take out their insurance, unless you can show that you have your own arranged.

If you want gear for a week or more then lensesforhire is going to work out much cheaper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.