Renting HD Movie On iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by SpaceKitty, Jun 29, 2010.

1. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I am downloading an HD movie that is only available for rent on my iPhone. Once it's done downloading, can I transfer it to my computer to watch on it instead?

Those of you with iPads might know the answer since you've been able to download HD movies longer than us iPhone owners.

By the way, this is a movie that is not available in HD on my computer, only on my phone.

2. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

Strangely enough, if you have a 3G or 3GS (either running iOS 4), you can transfer movies to your computer.

However, apple has disabled this for the iphone 4 for an unknown reason

Source: http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/iPhone_iOS4_User_Guide.pdf

EDIT: top of page 99
    "On iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS, you can transfer rented movies between iPhone and your computer. On iPhone 4, you can transfer rented movies between iPhone and your computer only if they were rented in iTunes on your computer. Movies rented on iPhone 4 cannot be transferred to a computer."

3. SpaceKitty thread starter macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

You can, but we're talking about HD movies on the iPad/iPhone 4. They can't be synced back to the computer for viewing. Only SD movies can be when purchased on these devices.

HD movies can't be purchased on the 3G or 3GS, only the iPhone 4 and of course the iPad.